He parted his lips to speak but he noticed the flare that lit in my eyes that dared him to protest. He sighed reluctantly and grabbed his coat. He slowly walked back up to me and before he left looked down and said with vigor, “I’m taking you on that date tomorrow night, whether you want to go or not.”

I didn’t speak nor look at him and once he realized I would neither deny nor accept his demanding gesture, he silently left.

A few minutes later, Chris reentered the room with Evelyn in tow. By that time, I had already cleaned up most of the broken things on the floor and fixed the table back to its orderly fashion.

“So, I’m guessing mom doesn’t take to keen to Jacob now, does she?” I asked, while picking up the spilled food off of the floor.

Ev let out a nervous laugh and sits in a seat at the table. “Well, it didn’t exactly didn’t go great.”

"You can thank your mystery friend for that, by the way who is he really? He gave off someone some intense body language at the dinner table whenever Jacob started talking.” Chris asked, placing his hands on Ev’s shoulders from the back of her chair.

“He’s just a friend. His brother dated Allen in junior high.”

Chris nodded his head slightly and by the look on his face, I knew he didn’t really actually believe a word I was saying.

Evelyn grimaced at Allen’s name. “Damn, I feel sorry for the poor unfortunate soul of that guy.”

I chuckled before standing to my feet and sighing. “I’m going to go to bed guys.”

The nightlight turned into daylight and Jacob stayed true to his promise. He did in fact call and told me of his plans. Even though I should have been pissed at him, the magnificent ball his Dad was supposedly having sounded too good to pass up and so I accepted. K was still missing and I was growing worried but I didn’t let it stop me from getting dressed at 9pm sharp and heading down stairs to wait for him outside.

“Where are you going dressed so nicely? Your prom isn’t for another three years.” Mom joked, dusting the coffee table.

I smiled and tried to get out fast but like a true mother, she snatched me back by the collar of my shirt. “Answer me honey.”

I flashed a pearly smile with soft eyes. “I’m going on a date.”

She raised her head up but kept her eyes on me. “With Jacob?”

“Yes, my boyfriend.”

She released me and picked up the duster again and with a calm voice she whispered, “I forbid it Evan.”

I remained silent for a second and just watched her return to dusting things. Stepping forward I cleared my throat. “Mom, he put a lot of effort into this, the least I can do is show I appreciate it.”

She barely was even phased “Now Evan, I’m your mother and as your mother I’m looking for your best interest. Like they always say Mother knows-”

“No.”

That seemed to get her attention because she stopped dusting and looked over to me. “No? Oh, dear. Mr. Evan Harris is all grown up, a twenty first century man,” she let go of the duster. “He’s the man of the house now. His father, he lives inside of him.” her eye glazed over and narrowed in my direction. A smile masked with cynicism danced on her red lips. 

“Mom-”

“Close your mouth!” she barked and the bite from the words silenced me quickly. “Go to your room Evan, you’re grounded.”