Chapter 21

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     I hadn’t known of this place; only that it seemed familiar but I couldn’t pin-point from where.  Although it being in a different light, this haunting place seemed like it boded a romantic feel all at the same time. 

     Sure, if you can describe the site of a future massacre as romantic.  What the hell is wrong with you woman? 

     It was the one place where, on this night hopefully, everything would go down; the one place where some of us would meet our end, in the hopes that balance and all things good in this world would be reassumed and fall back in its place – the ending to a haunting era.

     I stood in the center of this eerie clearing awaiting Matt’s arrival.  We had agreed to meet on neutral ground at midnight, and this place was it.  I knew that I couldn’t hold him to his word and so, Cane and the rest of the Fae that had come to the house, women and men alike had come along, only to remain at a distance, sight unseen and on standby.   I had managed to get my abilities in check enough to create a partial block with those that had accompanied us from the mansion.  I knew that it would be difficult to trust and keep a partial block up seeing as tonight was my first time attempting this feat on a large scale; that of which entailed for me to block those on my side and keeping my wall partially lowered to read into Matt and those who will most likely be surrounding us on his side.

     “How foolish of you.”  I heard, making me jump out of my thought process.  I saw a shadow emerge from the thicket of trees facing me – Matt was here. 

     No turning back now.

     “Are you sure about this, Babe?”  Cane came into my thoughts with concern.  As we had discussed our tactics, he had pleaded with me to wait things out a few days so we could make our move but I had refused; adamant that I couldn’t allow anymore death and chaos to take place under my nose – not without a fight anyway.  With a bit of coaxing and stating fact after fact that time was of the essence, Cane came to stand by my side in agreement as we had informed those who had come of what we intended to be doing this night.

     “I love you and yes.”  I told him through our link.  The only ones that knew about this mind link was Cane’s immediate family.  We figured that we’d keep it to ourselves, thus giving us a one-up on our tactical defences – a surprise vantage, a hidden ace up our proverbial sleeves.

     “I’m not the one who’s foolish here.”  I pointed out.  Matt stood a few dozen feet away from me, a cocky grin slowly displaying itself at his disgusting mouth; a grin I was too willing to oblige in wiping off of his face.  I sensed that he wasn’t alone.

     Just as quickly as that last thought occurred, shadows began to emerge from the thicket, flanking Matt from all sides. 

     “Wow!  A party just for me?  You shouldn’t have.”  I said hotly, exaggerating my tone of delight.  He was so predictable.

     “You didn’t expect me to take you to your word that you’d be coming alone, did you?”  He chuckled sarcastically.  “After all, there’s no way that I’d take that risk but I see that you’re not that smart after all; another reason why Royals are completely useless and overrated.”  There must have been a hundred men standing all around me.  The reality of what was about to happen was hitting home and I struggled to stand my ground, worried about those who had come along with us.  Hiding my urge to run, I maintained whatever was left of my confident composure. 

     Don’t let him see your fear.  I repeated the mantra to myself in an effort to keep my worry at bay.

     “We’re in trouble.”  I warned Cane.