Chapter 4

© ItalRT4u, 2012

     I wiped the silent tears that had fallen during the cab ride away as I faced my visitor and forced a smile.

     “What are you doing here?”  I asked him as he stood up to greet me; a look of concern on his face.

     “I had to check up on you.”  He tells me, meaning he remembered what day it was.  Gage stood there, looking ruggedly handsome as he always had been.

     “How long have you been here?”

     “An hour or so.”  He sheepishly answered, shrugging his shoulders.  “Judging by the outfit, you're doing just fine.”  He rubbed the back of his neck.  It didn't take an empath to know that he was riddled with nerves. 

     Why do I make him nervous? 

     He had always been cool, calm and collected.  It was kind of nice to see the sudden effect I had on him.  I suppose he had thought that I wouldn't want to give him the time of day, which he was right about that one.

     Call me crazy, tired, or delusional, but I had invited Gage inside.  I'm unsure as to the true nature of his visit and honestly, I couldn't care less.  The only thing I knew was the fact that I didn't want to be alone right now and needed someone familiar around me – Gage was the lucky subject of my relief on this night.

     “I miss you.”  Gage tells me as we had been sitting on the couch in awkward silence.  I got up and moved toward the mantle, grazing my fingers over the picture frames that held photographs of me and my family.  I missed them so much, it was almost unbearable.  When I hadn't answered, I heard Gage's throat clearing.

     “What?”  I turned towards him.

     “Well, I wasn't expecting silence.”  He said with a short tone.

     “What did you expect?  That after six months I'd run back into your arms?”  I snapped.  “The truth is Gage, that I am glad to see you.  It only solidifies my sentiment that all you are good for is a piece of ass.”  Gage's face flushed with a blush of frustration.  I knew that he wasn't expecting me to have answered him in that fashion.  I was no longer the weak, demure woman he once took advantage of with his cheating ways.  I was able to stand on my own two feet now – for that, I was thankful he had come into my life.

     “Wow.”  He chuckled.  “I'm kind of liking this outspoken version of you.”  He took a few steps towards me.  I lifted my hand to signal for him to stop but he continued on, a cocky demeanor present in his body language.  My defenses were wavering and I could literally sense his lust seeping into my very core.  The last thing I needed was a repeat from earlier tonight, until I had some answers on what exactly this whole glitch of mine entailed.

     “Stop.”  I said, my voice cracking and sounding husky but he closed the gap between us until the fronts of our bodies were slightly grazing.

     “I can't.”  He whispered onto the skin that covered my collarbone, causing my pulse to quicken.  My arms hung limp, by my sides.

     “You have to.”  I say at a silent whisper, clearing my throat.  “We're not...”  My voice left me altogether as I felt his soft warm lips on the soft spot below my ear; a moan escaping my lips.

     After a few dozen seconds of battling the erratic thoughts inside my head, I deduced that giving in was my only option seeing as my body was progressively betraying me.  Despite all the obvious reasons why I should kick this sexy jerk, nonetheless, a jerk out of my house, whatever it was that was going on inside me simply had a greater hold over me – knocking all rational thoughts out of my head.  My defenses were completely dysfunctional therefore rendering me helpless and at Gage's mercy.  It was very much trance-like.