Season 5 - Episode 4 | NOT REVISED

My breath was stuck in my throat. All around the room, eyes were stuck on the stage, but mine were darting around to everyone else. To Hailey, leaning against Ky, a sly smile on her face. To Scarlet, in her beautiful, flowing floral dress that looked as bright and beautiful as she did. James was up on the stage beside Andre, with Mateo's camera sweeping across all of us waiting in near silence.

"James, would you like to say a few words before I announce the winners?" Andre asked. He offered the microphone.

"It's been an exciting year," James said, his energy filling the stage. "One of the most memorable to date, I'd say. Our Homecoming King and Queen are both in the Top Three for Prom Court, our class couple split and reformed new teams, and two people no one ever expected have an opportunity to be crowned tonight. So, let's hear it for Ky Faust and Hailey Stevens!" James shouted, pointing the microphone towards us. Hands raised in the air clapping, cheers erupting alongside it. "Ben Panshaw and Scarlet Tanover!" More deafening sound. "And Asher Brandt and Aspen Faust! Your top three picks!"

Asher put his arms around me. I watched everyone as they cheered for me. It was overwhelming in the best of ways. This would be enough, I was sure of it. If I didn't win tonight, instead of letting myself be crushed, just knowing that people were cheering for me now would be enough.

"I think we've drawn this out enough," James said. He handed the microphone back to Andre. Behind him, a podium with two crowns and sashes. An envelope in his hands. He tore open the flap of the envelope and slid the card out.

"And your Prom King is..." Andre said. His eyes flickered up towards us, all waiting to know who had been chosen. I was just waiting to hear Ben's name. He and Scarlet were the perfect team, with her being so kind-hearted and him being so well-loved. Asher's grip on me tightened a bit.

"Asher Brandt!"

Everyone seemed to lose their minds at the announcement. My eyes widened, Asher stuck to me for a moment before finding his way to the path down the center and up to the stage. James placed the large, golden, plastic crown on Asher's head and a "Prom King" sash over his shoulder. Meanwhile, my heart was hammering in my chest.

"And your Prom Queen?" Andre waited for just a moment, drawing it out for what felt like ages. "Aspen Faust!"

Liv pushed me towards the center path. My feet carried me towards the stage, everything seeming surreal. The glittering tiara on my head. The "Prom Queen" sash around my body. The furious look on Hailey's face while behind her, Ky was smiling with pride. Applause rocked the room. Asher grabbed my hand and looked at me with a grin on his face. Never would I have expected him to be so excited about being Prom King. Never would anyone have expected him to even be nominated, but this entire year had been a crazy one. Nothing was the same. I couldn't recognize who any of us used to be.

"Is this everything you wanted?" Asher asked so only I could hear.

"Yes," I said.

"Perfect."

Together, we found a place in the open center, a slow song coming on. He put one hand on the small of my back, the other on my hip. We swayed back and forth to the music. Asher's eyes watched me the whole time, his lips set into a tiny smile.

"Thank you for the greatest year of my life," Asher said quietly.

"Are you for real?" I asked. "I can't imagine you wanting any of this. You only helped me because I needed you."

"I did. But you're my best friend. I don't care about the game or being Prom King. I just care about you. Are you happy?"

"Yes."

"That's all I've wanted this entire game."

My heart thumped against my bones. "How can you say things like that to me and expect me not to fall hard for you?"

"I can't. But this is a heavy conversation we're opening up, and I don't want to have it here."

I rested my head against his shoulder and closed my eyes. This was my perfect moment.

It wasn't much longer before we ran into Ky and Hailey, grabbing themselves drinks. Ky noticed me first. But, instead of looking at me, Hailey's eyes went right up to my crown.

"Congratulations," she said, her voice indicating she felt anything but.

"Thanks." I grabbed a cup of soda off the counter. "Have I ever told you that I know what you did? That you nominated me to laugh at me, and lower your competition?"

"Lucky you, I guess," she sneered.

"Yeah, well, you probably would have won if you weren't such a bitch."

"Go to hell."

I took a sip of my soda and smirked, turning and walking off. 

++++++++++++   

Whether or not I post a third chapter tonight is up for debate, but we'll see what happens.  Get pumped.  Exciting things aren't over yet.  We still have more story to tell.