Season 1 - Episode 9 | NOT REVISED

I'd gone to a couple of football games before, but mostly just to hang out with Ky. It was way different showing up for a Homecoming parade and game to announce that Asher and I were on Homecoming Court. Remaining in the Top Seven into the end of October, there we were. Nominated. It was weird enough imagining Asher going to a football game or the dance. Being in the parade? Being king? That... that picture just was too unreal to imagine.

Ky and I had stayed after school that afternoon. We had to be ready and on the Homecoming Court float by five. Scarlet and I had staked out one of the bathrooms, where she was playing music off her phone and had an entire box of makeup. I'd only brought the essentials I knew I was going to need. There wasn't the means or justification to bring my entire collection.

When I was finished, wearing a dress and looking at least a little nicer than usual, I sat Scarlet down and curled her hair for her.

"Are you excited to be on a float?" Scarlet asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Yeah, kind of. Being in the parade has always looked kind of fun."

"It is. I got to be on the Freshman Class float in ninth grade. We had a great time. Just make sure you follow the directions so no one gets in trouble. Someone got hurt last year," she said.

"Yeah, I remember. No worries. I won't fall off," I said.

Scarlet opened a Snapchat on her phone. I could see over her shoulder. Ky had sent her a goofy face and a caption asking if we were ready yet. She held up her phone, and took a picture of me curling her hair while both of us made stupid faces.

"Hey, Aspen," Scarlet said. She turned off her phone and put it back in her lap.

"Yeah?"

"If I asked Ky to be my boyfriend, do you think he'd say yes?"

"You know he's had a thing for you for like, two years, right?"

Scarlet didn't say anything for a second. "I guess I kind of did, but I didn't want to be wrong."

"I promise, he will be really excited."

Conversation lulled for a moment, nothing but the sound of Scarlet's EDM filling the room. I was almost finished. Just a few more curls and some hair spray, and her golden hair would be bouncing all night.

"Are you looking forward to going to Homecoming with Asher?"

I shrugged. "I mean, I'm not not looking forward to it. I don't know if I'd say I'm excited. Going with him will be better than third-wheeling with you and Ky or my best friend and her date."

"You and Asher would be cute together."

"Thanks?"

"Don't tell Ky I said that. He hates that you and Asher are even friends."

"Trust me, I know."

I grabbed Scarlet's hairspray and gave her a good coating over her head. She stood up and looked in the mirror.

"We both look so cute. Thanks for the help."

I was packing up my stuff when Scarlet grabbed my arm and pulled me to the full-length mirror at the end of the room. She was an inch or two taller than me, which was obvious now that we were standing right beside each other. We both posed together. Scarlet snapped a selfie and uploaded it to Instagram and Facebook, tagging me in both. It was strange. I'd never considered myself friends with her, but she was nice and easy to talk to and shared some of my girly interests.

"I think I get why everyone likes you," I said.

"I don't think everyone likes me, but thanks," she replied.