Chapter 18

Harrison finished his rookie season with winning the Rookie of the Year award. Throughout the entire season, he won a handful of player of the week awards. So many that Carrie got him a trophy case for Christmas.

Along with winning Rookie of the Year, he set quite a few Cowboys rookie records. He passed the rookie record for tackles, sacks, and interceptions, as well as consecutive snaps played.

He also got another bonus, this time $20 million for helping out with Play 60 and charity work. Play 60 was a program run by each of the NFL's 32 teams. It aimed to get all kids out playing flag football and having fun. Part of it was also to let the kids meet their some of their idols and learn what it would take to make it into the NFL.

Harrison traveled to a few elementary schools during the spring, talking to kids and getting them out and playing football. Carrie came to one with him, and she was blown away at how much the kids loved Harrison. And he was so good with kids. Every time someone made a good throw, or a good catch, he'd give them a high five, or even do a little handshake.

Meanwhile, Carrie was doing very well in college. In a few months, she was finished with her mandatory courses, or in an actual college, freshman year.

When Harrison went to practice all day, she'd go into her 'office' for a few hours and either do work, take notes on a class, or pay bills and taxes.

They called it her 'office,' because it wasn't really an office at first. When they did the plans for this house, Carrie thought she would do her online classes at the table or outside on the deck. But with Harrison and a dog, she couldn't concentrate very much.

So for a couple weeks she bugged Harrison until he agreed to help her transform one of the spare rooms into an office. And the finished product looked amazing. She had a huge desk in there, along with several shelves for all her stuff and a huge window.

There was a knock on the door as she entered this months property taxes. "Yes?"

Harrison opened the door, holding a small flower pot made entirely of wood. Inside it was a rubber coating to keep the soil and water off the nice wood.

"How's it look?" He asked, holding the other part of her Valentine's Day present.

Entering another payment, she looked up. The wood was a light, milk chocolaty color. It would fit in with the house trim. "Bring it here."

He obeyed, handing her the pot. Taking it from him, it was heavier than she expected it to be. But running her fingers along the wood, she knew this was the expensive stuff. "It looks great!"

"Seriously?"

Carrie nodded. For the last year, he began taking an interest in carpentry. And everything he made was usually for her, or for the house.

He was really good at it. She would often tell him he should start selling his works. But he would say they were for her or the house.

"The flowers are on the counter in the kitchen."

Harrison came back with the flowers in the pot. He set it on the side table he made for her. "It looks good," she admitted with a smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome. Happy Valentine's Day," he said, leaning across her desk and kissing her.

Before he could leave, she instructed him to sit. "What?"

Carrie turned her laptop to face him. "The property tax has been going up for the last few months. Not that we'd have any trouble with it. But would you want to pay the house off now and get it over with? It's your call, most of it's your salary."

"Let's do it."

"Alright," she said, turning her laptop back. "Can you hand me my phone?"

"Thanks."

Harrison watched her as she called the bank and made the big withdrawal out of their joint account. "It's done," Carrie told him, setting her phone on the desk. "Do you want me to do the same thing with the cars?"

He nodded, as she began dialing another number. While she was on hold, Carrie checked their online banking, seeing the withdrawal already taken out.

After she hung up the phone, he told her, "I'm glad you know how to do all this."

She flashed him a smile, logging out of their bank account and checking her email. "Well, maybe you should learn."

"I'm good."

"Come on, it'll be fun," she teased.

"No thanks."

Carrie laughed at his facial expression. His nose was all scrunched up as it normally was when he didn't want to do something.

"Well there could be a time when I'm not around to do this."

"I hope not."

She laughed, leaning back in her chair. "Can I at least show you how to balance an online check?"

"Fine," he muttered under his breath before pulling a chair around the other side of her desk.

It only took a few minutes for her to show him. "You think you could do this on your own?"

"Uh huh," he nodded.

"Bullshit," she teased, getting up and heading out of her office.

Carrie changed into shorts and a tank top as he did the same. She called Chance who came bolting across the house. "Who wants to go for a walk?" She asked as he licked her hand.

Chance jumped excitedly as she put his collar on. Harrison came downstairs with shorts and a t-shirt just as Carrie hooked the leash to Chance's collar. "You ready?"

She nodded and Chance barked. Harrison opened the garage door for them as Chance was already pulling Carrie out of the house. "Settle down Chance. I know you haven't went for a walk in a while."

Put Chance kept pulling her until she started to run along with him. They ran the entire time, Harrison following them. "Keep up!" She shouted over her shoulder.

"I'm trying!" He yelled back as Carrie and Chance got farther away.