Chapter Eighteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Sure, Tita. I'm always happy to help." He said.

Nagpatuloy si Mommy sa pagtingin-tingin ng mga things para sa baby. Naiwan kaming dalawa ni Coco. I noticed how quiet and aloof he was when we were left alone. I knew it had something to do with what I told Steve. I just didn't know what to say. Hindi ko kasi alam kung paano ko ipaliliwanag sa kanya ang relasyon namin ni Coco. 

"Coco?" I broke the silence.

"A mistake, Anais?" He blurted out. "Palagi pala tayong nagkakamali? You enjoyed every mistake we made."

"I'm sorry... Hindi ko lang kasi alam kung paano ipaliliwanag sa kanya." I quietly said. "Ano'ng gusto mong sabihin ko? I've been regularly fucking my bestfriend and got pregnant?"

"Huwag mo sabihin may gusto ka pa din sa Steve na yun?" His eyes narrowed at me.

Kinapa ko ang nararamdaman ko. I'd never thought of him the past few months we didn't see each other. Alot of things had happened in those months and I'd be a mother soon. Now that I'd seen him, I could say that I still felt the same for him.

"I don't know." I lowered my head. 

Coco never spoke a word until Mom decided to go home. Nakabili kami ng clothes para sa baby, bottles for his milk, and Coco bought him a baby tub. I waited for his call when I got home but I waited for nothing.

"Coco." I was the one who called him this time. 

"Yeah?" Parang tinatamad na sagot niya. It sounded as if he didn't even want to talk to me.

"Miss ka na ni baby..." I quietly said as I stroked my tummy. "Nagtatampo ka pa rin ba sa akin?"

He just answered with a sigh. "How's the baby?"

"Coco, oh! Gumagalaw si baby. Listen..." Tinapat ko ang phone sa tiyan ko. The baby was really moving in my tummy.  He was an active baby. Kahit sa gabi, mahilig siyang mambulabog. Sometimes I'd even see his hand or feet when he'd push against my skin. Coco's face would light up everytime he sees that. Kahit ilang beses niya na makita iyon, it always seemed like he was seeing it for the first time. "Narinig mo yun?"

There was no response on the other line.

"Coco? Coco?"

Was he really that mad at me? Biglang bumukas ang bintana ko at pumasok si Coco sa loob. He climbed to my bed and just cuddled next to me, his head resting on my huge belly.

"Hey, baby. Daddy missed you." He said.

I could feel the baby moving inside of me. Mas lalo siyang malikot kapag alam niyang kinakausap siya. He'd twist, turn, and kick. He knew his Daddy's voice too. His favorite was his Daddy's voice and his annoying Tita Bryce. He likes it when his Tita Bryce sings him an out of tune twinkle, twinkle little stars. He likes it when the cookie-nutella-cookie butter sandwich I invented. I'd lived off of it the whole second trimester of my pregnancy. It became his favorite. Malalaman mo sa galaw ng baby dahil mas malikot siya when I do the things or eat the food he wants.

"Coco, are you still mad?" I brushed my fingers through his hair. 

He kissed my tummy and looked up at me. "I just didn't like what you said about the baby being a mistake. We didn't plan this and we're young, I know. But our baby isn't and will never be a mistake."

"You know that's not what I meant." I silently said. "Mahal ko din ang baby natin. I never thought of him as a mistake."

"Anais, I'm sorry for overreacting earlier." He sighed and scooted up to level with me. He kissed me on he forehead and pulled me against his body. "I want you to be happy. I don't want you being restricted to doing what you want just because you're already a mother. Gusto ko pa rin ma-enjoy mo ang pagiging teenager mo. Go back to school after you give birth to our son, okay?"