Chapter Eighteen

ANAIS

Mom and I were out shopping for the things for the baby. My belly was as huge as a basketball now and the baby was almost ready to come out. Dad had the room next to mine renovated. The Cordovas got a wooden crib for the baby and a beautiful rocking chair for me, they had it customized and shipped from Italy.

Ramdam ko na ang nalalapit na pagdating niya. I was scared but excited at the same time. I didn't know if I'd do a good job being a good mom. I'd been taking prenatal classes to prepare myself for giving birth and for taking care of the baby. Mom and I actually just got out of my prenatal yoga class. So that's what's keeping me busy now.

"Anais?" I heard a familiar voice from behind me and I instinctively turned around. Steve was standing right in front of me. "Hi!"

"H—hello." I said.

"I... how are you?" He asked with a wide smile. "It's been so long since the last time I saw you. Lumipat ka ba ng school?"

"Um, no." I shook my head and clutched onto my stomach. "I stopped."

His gaze lowered. "You're... pregnant?"

I nodded my head.

He looked at me confused. "Akala ko ba wala kang boyfriend? I thought you never had one."

"I never did." I said.

"But who's the father?" He asked.

"Hey..." I felt a hand grip my waist. I turned my head to see Coco towering next to me. He pulled me against him and gave me a kiss on the side of my head. "Sorry, I couldn't make it to your yoga class. Kalalabas ko lang sa school."

"I understand." I quietly said. Minsan kasi si Coco ang sumasama sa akin sa mga class ko. Lalo na kapag ang time ay natatapat sa uwian nila Bryce sa school. Mom had to pick her up so Coco would go with me. Coco even enrolled with me in my parenting class. Tinuturuan kami doon kung paanong maghandle at mag-alaga ng baby. How you should hold the baby, bathe the baby, feed the baby and things like that. We both needed it.

"How's my little boy?" His hand lowered to my eight month old belly. "Makulit pa din ba ha?"

"Um Coco, si Steve..." I said.

He turned his head to him. "What do you want from Anais?"

"I can't believe you're dating this guy." Steve shook his head.

"We're not dating..." I answered. "What happened was a... mistake but we've never dated."

Steve sighed. "You know I really liked you. Seryoso ako sa'yo sa panliligaw ko, Anais."

"You fucking moron, she's about to give birth with my child and you're telling her this in front of me?" Coco snarled.

"It was a mistake." Steve's lips lifted into a sarcastic smile. "You are just a mistake to her."

"O, Coco! Nandyan ka na pala!" Mom walked towards us and then she looked at Steve. "Oh, you have a friend with you?"

"He's not my friend." Coco shrugged, his voice low.

"Mom, this is Steve. Kasama ko siya dati sa theatre club." I introduced.

"Oh, I see. Nice to meet you." Mom smiled at him.

"Nice to meet you too. I need to go na po. We just bumped into each other." He politely said goodbye to Mom and me and went on his way.

"Kanina ka pa ba nandito?" Tanong ni Mommy kay Coco.

"No, I actually just got here, Tita." He answered. 

"Oh well." Nagkibit-balikat si Mommy. "You got here just in time. Marami pa tayong gamit na bibilhin for the baby. We need help carrying those."