Chapter Twelve

ANAIS

"Mommy, Daddy, I'm sorry..." Humihikbing sabi ko.

He brought his hand up and then there was a searing pain along the right side of my face. Mom gasped at what she saw. Dad gave me a solid slap across the face. My own father just slapped me. This was the first time I was ever hit by him. There was an initial shock. Ilang segundong walang gumalaw o nagsalita sa amin tatlo.

"I'm so sorry." The shock wore down and I cried even harder, apologizing over and over. I didn't mind the pain anymore. I knew the emotional pain I'd given them was way worse.

"Where did we go wrong?" Dad's voice was shaky but full of anger. "Nagkulang ba ako ng paalala? Tell me what did I do wrong in raising you?"

I shook my head, burying my face into my palms.

"Ginawa ko ang lahat para protektahan ka! I thought you were still my innocent baby girl." I could feel the pain in his voice. What broke my heart most was the quiver in his voice that told me that he could barely hold the tears. "Paano mo naatim na lokohin kami? Gaano katagal mo na kaming niloloko ng Mommy mo?"

"Daddy, hindi ko sinasadya." I shook my head.

"Don't even call me Dad. I am not your father anymore. You stopped being my daughter simula ng sumuway ka sa utos ko." His voice and expression hardened.

"No, Daddy..." I tried to hug him but he dodged. "Please, Daddy, forgive me."

"Huwag mo akong lapitan." He said in a cold, hard tone.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..." Paulit-ulit na sabi ko. My legs gave in and I sank to the ground on my knees. I wrapped my arms around his waist but he yanked them away from him.

"Do you even understand the severity of what you've done? This is not a game, Anais." He said with tears in the corners of his eyes. I swear, that was the first time I'd ever seen my Dad in such vulnerable state. The strongest man I knew just shed a tear in front of me and I was the cause of those tears. I felt like my heart was being squeezed. It hurt so bad. "Kahit kailan hindi pumasok sa isip ko na magiging ina ka ng ganito kabata. I did everything to keep you innocent. Hindi mo alam kung gaano kasakit sa akin itong ginawa mo."

"Daddy..." I sniffled.

He took a step away from me before turning his back and walking away. Mom walked up to me and knelt down in front of me. I lifted my eyes up to her. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying. I just felt bad. I had hurt the two people that loved me the most.

"I'm sorry, Mommy..." Umiiyak na sabi ko.

She took in a deep breath, trying hard to keep her tears at bay. "We've all had a long day. Let's get you to bed."

I threw my arms around her and buried my face into her shoulder. Akala ko magagalit din siya sa akin katulad ni Daddy. She rubbed my back as I cried. I felt like a little girl again. It was like I was back in those days when I'd come running home and crying to her when I skin my knees.

"I didn't mean to hurt you and Dad." I murmured against her shoulder.

"I know and I want you to know that your Dad and I loves you no matter what. Nabigla lang yun." She gently said. Her words soothed me and lightened the heaviness I felt in my chest.

"Mommy, si Coco?" Nag-aalalang tanong ko. Dad dragged me back inside the house after beating him up with his rifle. He was all bloody and I didn't think he was concious anymore. He was left bleeding on the cold ground. I felt dread slowly creep down my nerves. Paano kung napatay siya ni Dad? Oh God!

"Your Dad's bodyguards took him home." Mom answered.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked.

"I hope so, honey." She bit her bottom lip.