Chapter 36: Secrets of Harris

Start from the beginning

He stopped and stared at me, “I’ll just say it straight to you.”

***

The moment he was about to take a turn to the right, Harris heard his phone vibrant.

He paused and glanced down at the screen, No number. He sighed and leaned against the wall that was closest to him. Looking around the streets, people were all busy walking here and there, Harris decided that it was safe to speak.

“Hello?” He answered.

“Harris I need to know where Firer is.” The man said.

“A large group of the Firer should be at the old factory, close to the train station.”

The man was shocked, “How did you know this?”

“The leader rang me and said that he had Taylor.” Harris replied, “And it also seems like he knows the information about me working for you.”

“If Taylor finds about this...” The man said, “She’ll make things worst.”

 “Yes, Commander General.” Harris nodded.

“Now, you go and find Firer and try to cover this up again.” The Commander General continued, “And make sure you have some explanation to Taylor.” He paused, “Or else the pen that is missing will be handled over to Firer and xHunter.”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Once you’re done with this mission, continue with the next one that I had already told you so.” The Commander General said, “Are you clear on this?”

Harris nodded, “Confirmed, Sir.”

“Be careful of what Taylor can do to you.” He advised, “And make sure you’ll come back safe. Signing off.”

The phone beeped and disconnected the signal.

Harris lowered his eyes and he pulled his phone down, “The only thing she can do to me is everything she does to herself." He sighed, “Only if you could understand me.”

***

“Okay then.” I said, “What’s the next big secret you’re going to tell me?”

Henry chuckled and then narrowed his eyes at me, “Firstly I need you to do something for me.”

I knew there was a catch! “Whatever you want, I don’t want to know your secret anymore.” I said, “I’m not interested.”

Henry smiled, “Oh, you will be interested.” He paused, “Harris has been working alongside with you these days. And yet you never knew...”

“What do you mean?”

He smiled again, “Once you do my request.” He paused, “I’ll tell you his secret.”

“As if.” I said to him straight, “I don’t care about your secret. And I don’t think I need to hear it either.”

“Henry!”

“My, my.” Henry smiled, “Just perfect timing.”

I glanced over my shoulder and behind the Firer group I saw Harris. “Harris?”

Firer made way for Harris to get through. He looked at me and then glanced back at Henry, “Why did you call me?”

Henry called Harris? I thought to myself, Have they been brother bonding? But when I saw Harris glaring at his brother, I threw away my silly thought.

Henry grinned back, “I called for you an important reason, my brother.” He went on, “I want to tell your dirty little secrets behind Rosanna here.”

Seeing this situation made me wonder what all of these “secrets” are about. However, when I turned to Harris, his expression was serious.

Henry grinned with delight, “I guess I was right.” He smiled and walked over to me, “You see Rosanna,” Henry faced me, “My big brother here was actually once a leader of Firer.”

I was surprised, but remained neutral as though I had known this. “I already know that.” I replied.

Harris looked at me.

Henry narrowed his eyes and smiled again, “Well, glad that you do. But I’m pretty sure you didn’t know that all these years, Harris has been spying on you.”

Again, I tried to keep a straight face. But in reality my head was sprouting with questions. Why is he spying on me? Why did he lied that his parents finally found him and went to Europe? Why? I glanced up and smiled at him, “Well, guess what? I already know that too.”

Henry paused and looked at me again, “Seriously?”

I nodded. Gosh, lying and acting is so hard for me. I was never good with lying, but I guess all that practice with Dean was helping me a bit.

I lowered my eyes, trying to come up with something to escape this stupid place.

Harris looked at me again. I stared at him, Is he trying to spot if I’m lying?

Henry, on the other hand, stood half a metre in front of me and smiled, “Well do you know that…” He paused and whispered to my ear, “Harris is working for the Commander General like you are?”

My eyes widened.

Henry laughed, “I guess you don’t know about that then.”

I ignored him and glanced back at Harris. I thought that he was my best friend and knew everything about him. Harris looked away from me and stared at Henry.

The moment Henry was about to say something again, we heard footsteps shuffling and guns moving from behind. It was the Commander General’s forces.

I can see our forces aiming at Firer, but they didn’t fire.

Harris was looking at our forces to signal when to fire. And if they were to fire, I would have to duck.

But I remembered that Firer had to do something first. It was the plan that Commander General had already placed out. But if Harris was working for Commander General wouldn’t he know about this too?

I yelled out, “Stop!”

Everyone stopped and laid their eyes on me.

***

It's been a long while since I last updated. But here it is. Hope that you guys are still reading this. Remember to comment and vote! Thanks for reading!