(12) Christmas at the Linehans

Start from the beginning

"Nah. I'd rather watch your butt when you walk back and forth." He beamed his perfect teeth at me. I threw a pillow at his head for his perverted head.

"Come on weirdo." I motioned for him to follow. We exited the guest bedroom together and brought our plates of breakfast into the loft joining his sister who'd been watching a Christmas movie. His dad and Carol came in not much long after holding paper sacks concealing what was inside them.

"We got you all a little surprise for when we get home." Randy explained excitedly. "You guys hurry and eat grandma is waiting impatiently. She has called me every twenty minutes for the last hour asking if we are on our way yet. She's missed you Ray, you should visit more often." Rayner flushed nodding his head mouth full of pancakes.

Twenty minutes on the dot and his grandmother called again but this time we were all piled in his father's SUV on our way. I could hear her shrill voice excited and talking loudly against Randy's ear. She didn't live far from their home and I was nervous again. Meeting new people had become a bit of a trigger for me and I knew his family was hyperaware of what I'd endured over the last year.

We pulled into the full driveway of the small house whose yard was littered with many yard ornaments. I couldn't even count all of the wind chimes and I wondered if they ever got any sleep around here. His grandma was sitting on the screened in front porch with her tiny old dog shivering in her lap. The second we got out of the car she was in our faces starting with her son Randy and his girlfriend Carol. Then she moved on to Grace squeezing her tightly kissing her forehead and Rayner braced himself for impact. It was quite comical to be honest.

"Rayner! You never visit me anymore an old woman gets lonely!" She grabbed him roughly pulling him in actually pinching his cheeks but he didn't seem to mind he only hugged her back kissing her cheeks. "Please introduce me to her!" She moved on down the line to me. My stomach dipped a little feeling that panic I always did when meeting someone for the first time. "Oh my god! She's gorgeous what on earth is she doing with you?" Rayner scoffed rolling his eyes at his grandmother. She pulled me in for a hug squeezing me tightly. Rayner laughed beside me grinning from ear to ear. I hugged her back with less vigor but welcoming none the less. "Tori dear I love you already. If you and Rayner could make me some great grand babies I'd be the happiest Grammy in the world." I blushed fifty shades of magenta while Rayner laughed uncontrollably.

"Okay that's enough Mom." Randy stepped in. "You're gonna scare the poor girl off you're doing it again." She raised a hand to her mouth innocently. "Nonsense let's go inside." She decided picking her dog back up and leading us all inside. The first thing I was hit with was the smell of fresh baked goods. Next I took notice of her collection of clowns. That was a bit creepy.

"You like Grammy's collection?" Grace teased seeing me gawking at the wall of clowns. She giggled, "I can't tell you how many times Rayner begged her to take them down." Rayner put her under his arm to silence her. "Aww you're afraid of clowns babe?" Rayner just sneered at me avoiding my question altogether.

We made our way into the living room where the rest of the family resided. Aunts, uncles, cousins, I couldn't keep up with all the names. I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed my chest getting heavy. No no no this could not be happening. I looked around not seeing Rayner but it was happening. The panic set in and I felt the hot tears prickling my eyes. "Are you okay hun?" An aunt of Rayner touched my arm gently.

"Uhm, yeah. Where's the restroom?" I felt like I was talking in slow motion. "I'll show you come on." She pulled me by the arm and to be honest that was the only thing that kept me going. "Right here. Should I go find Rayner?" I nodded my head slowly she smiled warmly. "I'll go look for him." I thanked her quietly stumbling into the bathroom running some cold water over my cheeks and arms trying to breathe. I pushed back the flashbacks to the back of my mind and tried to focus on my breath and talking myself out of a panic attack.