-two-

Day 2

I quickly ran up to the school’s front doors, the rain steadily soaking through the thin fabric of my shirt. Of course, being me, as soon as I come barreling into the school I collide with someone, practically tackling them in the almost empty hall. I glanced up through my damp hair, sighing in relief when a familiar pair of chocolate brown eyes met mine.

“Miss me?” He chuckled as I quickly sprang away from him.

“Of course.” I rolled my eyes, groaning when I realized how wet my jacket was.

“You’re going to get sick.” Calum stated, wrapping his jacket around my shoulders just like he did yesterday.

“Okay, mom.” I stuck my tongue out in a childish manner.

Calum mock gasped, holding a hand to his heart. “You will not disrespect your mother like that. Apologize this instant.”

“Yes ma’am,” I rolled my eyes. “Sorry, my dear mother.”

“That’s better,” He stated, slinging an arm around my shoulder as he led me through the halls. “But you should probably stop rolling your eyes. Literally, every time I’m around you, you roll them at least once.”

“Maybe there’s a reason behind that.” I teased.

“I have no idea what you mean by that.” His signature crooked grin tugged at his mouth.

I rolled my eyes again, laughing as he groaned at my behavior. He gently nudged me with his elbow, grinning as I stuck my tongue out in response, giggling softly.

I was about to respond when the late bell rang, letting my head fall back into Calum’s chest.

“Well shit,” He mumbled, making me laugh.

He continued to stare at me after I finished laughing; making me blush as I lightly hit him on the arm.

“What are you staring at?”

“N-Nothing,” He blurted out. “It’s just- your laugh. It’s really nice and-and, yeah…” He trailed off, obviously nervous as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“O-Oh, well t-thanks?” I stutter myself, not used to compliments.

“Right, well, we better get to class.” I awkwardly laugh.

“Yeah, yeah… Um, I’ll see you later?”

“Sounds good.” I smile up at him before running down the halls to my class.                          

-|-|-

I popped another slice of my Clementine into my mouth, jumping when someone else joined me at the table. I snapped my gaze away from my book, scrunching up my nose when I saw Calum before returning my attention to my book.

“Are you going to ignore me?”  He asks with amusement in his tone.

“No,” I look up. “I’m going to read this book.”

“What do you like about reading?” He asks me, seemingly genuine.

“I guess it’s that fact that I can slip into a new life, you know? Like, for a second, I can be the main character and be… well, amazing, I guess. You know? Like, if I read the Harry Potter books it feels like I’m back in my childhood when everything was easy, I guess.”

“Well, what’s that book got over me?” He scoffs, reading the back cover when I hand it to him.

“Quite a bit of stuff, actually.  You know, drama, adventure, romance.” I wiggled my eyebrows as he laughed.