Without A Trace

A/N

Two updates in one day... Crazy!

Draco heard the creak of Hermione's disapperation. He could still smell her perfume in the air where she stood moments ago. He didn't need to read the words scrawled on the parchment she'd left by the bed... Or the ring.

He sat on the bed his eyes reading and rereading her words.

Don't come for me. I don't want to be found.

this is best.

I don't know when or even if I'll be back.

When or even if...

He let those words roll around in his mind. Draco knew Hermione and he knew that she'd already made her choice. In his heart of hearts he knew, she wasn't ever coming back. She was gone and he would never find her. Still, that didn't stop him. In a blur he rose from the bed and vanished to the only two people he could think to ask. Mr and Mrs Granger.

Within seconds Draco was standing on their front lawn. A wave of nerves washed over him but he fought to hold himself together.

Knock knock

"Draco. What a surprise." Mrs Granger smiled warmly stepping aside to let him in.

"Yes. Sorry to show up unannounced. I just need a word with you and Mr Granger." He spoke smoothly. His voice a lot more level than he felt.

"Of course. He's just in the living room. Why don't you go through and I'll make some tea."  She gestured to the small room.

Draco nodded, making his way to where Mr Granger was seated.

"Draco. Is Hermione with you?" 

"No Sir. That's actually why I'm here. She- she has left."

"Really?" Mrs Grangers voice filled the room

Once again Draco nodded, placing her note on the table between them.

Silence filled the room. Neither party knowing what to say.

"I knew she wasn't coping after the- the miscarriage..." He trailed off. Miscarriage. It's the first time he said it out loud. Seven months and only know he said it aloud. The word burnt his tongue like acid and left a foul taste in his mouth.

"Miscarriage?" Gasped both Hermione's parents.

"You didn't know?" Asked Draco, shocked.

"When? No. She never even told us she was pregnant."  Mrs Granger's voice wavered as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Seven months. She was 28 weeks. We were supposed to be having a boy." Draco forced his voice to stay level despite the years threatening to betray him.

"Where'd she go?" Mr Granger asked. His eyes void, staring at the carpet.

Draco couldn't answer, simply shaking his head.

Nobody spoke for a long time. A little because no one knew what to say but also because they all knew she didn't want to be found and so she wouldn't be.

Draco excused himself sometime in the early hours of the morning apologising profusely for his unannounced article in the middle of the night. He'd promised to visit again soon and he'd keep them informed.

He didn't sleep that night. Or the nights that followed. He'd owled the Potter's and Weasley but they went unanswered. He'd filed a missing person with both muggle and magical law enforcement but Hermione was smart. He'd no doubt she'd alter her appearance, that is if she was even still in the UK.