Space

A/N

I'm back! Once again so sorry for the wait but I had bubs now and we've all settled into a routine so I should be able to update more regularly... Should be.

The grand room was alive and buzzing when Hermione walked through the large double doors. A large string quartet had been charmed off to the side, Vivaldi if Hermione weren't mistaken. Large round tables were dressed in expensive white linens and even more expensive silverware.

Loud chatter swallowed the room but it was the quiet whispers that screamed above the noise. Suddenly it was like Hermione was back in fourth year at the yule ball.

What is she doing here?

She doesn't look like she lost a baby.

Poor Draco. It can't have been easy for him.

She probably made it all up. Merlin knows he could do so much better.

Hermione took a deep breath and a glass of Chardonnay from the floating waiter tray, downing it all in one before moving further into the storm of bodies, her eyes looking for Draco.

It didn't take long before she'd spotted his well groomed platinum hair. He was currently in a conversation with a rather large group of older gentleman, non of which Hermione recognized.

With another deep breath Hermione jutted her chin up, swallowing her nerves and plastering a smile to her face she made her way to him, planting a tentative hand on the small of his back to announce her arrival.

Draco looked down, confusion painting his expression. "Granger? You're here."

Hermione nodded, the conversation of several groups effectively dying off to listen in.

"Why?" He asked bluntly, ushering them both away from prying eyes.

"Because you were right. I'm never going to move past what happened if I don't try." She answered cordially.

Draco squeezed her hand reassuring her that she had made the right move. "You look great." He whispered washing his light eyes over her.

She blushed. This was the Draco she once fell in love with. This was the Draco she desperately craved. "Thank you." She whispered.

"Come on. There's some people I want you to meet."

"I-I don't know."

"You'll be fine." He answered reassuring her with a gentle kiss to her knuckles and another squeeze to her fingers. Hermione only nodded.

He had lead her over to a group of impeccably well dressed witches. Some Hermione recognized from the younger grades at Hogwarts and some she'd simply never seen before.

"Ladies" Draco announced "I'd like you to meet someone." He smiled. Hermione hadn't missed the way many of the ladies looked down at her as their eyes followed Draco's arm in her direction. "This is Hermione."

"L-lovely to meet you all." She shyly speaks, her brown eyes looking anywhere but at the piercing eyes of the women in front of her.

"I'm sure." A velvety voice responded, the slightest hint of venom in her tone. "I'm Astoria. I'm sure you know Pansy and Daphne." She gestured to the two women beside her.

Hermione only nodded.

"I trust you ladies will look after her for me?" Draco interjects, cutting through the obvious tension. "Now if you'll excuse me. I have to go and talk to legal about something's." He smiled warmly before buttoning his dress robe and leaving Hermione to her own devices.

"So, Hermione. Draco tells us you haven't been out much recently."

"No. I haven't much felt like socializing." She answered. Not liking the direction this conversation was going.

"Understandable. Losing a baby. You look great though. Nobody would even know." She smiled and Hermione was sure she wasn't supposed to recognize the malice behind it.

Hermione only nodded, remaining tight lipped as she helped herself to another glass of wine. Sipping and scolding herself for coming tonight.

"Did they figure out why you lost the baby?" It was Daphne to speak this time.

Hermione swallowed, "yes the placenta detached itself" she answered shrewdly.

"Will you try again?" Pansy asked "I mean surely you will have to. In order to produce an heir?"

Hermione thought on that for a while, "Maybe. We haven't spoken about it."

"But you must. Draco must have someone to carry on the Malfoy name." Pansy spoke in a matter-of-fact tone.

Hermione didn't respond.

Eleven
I can't give him an heir

Hermione sighed inwardly, her eyes watching Draco as he spoke freely with his old school chums. His hand in his pocket, the other holding a glass of Fire Whiskey. He looked so carefree and much younger. Completely unburdened by her and the stress of their relationship.

Twelve
I'm dragging him down

Thirteen
I'm selfish to stay

Hermione finished her glass and excused herself from the trio. Making her way to Draco.

He smiled at her, "everything okay?" He asks, his smile falling away.

"I have to go" was all she said before fleeing back to their apartment.

She grabbed her small beaded bag. It was old now and many of the beads had long fallen off but the undetectable extension charm still held strong.

Hermione carelessly threw open the wardrobe doors before blindly grabbing at her clothes and shoving them into the bag. Next she moved to her bedside dresser and cleared the drawers of their content. Her fingers brushed a small velvet box in the far back corner and she froze. Pulling the box out and resting it on her palm.

Lightly she traces the fabric, her breathing heavy and sounding like gunfire compared to the silence and stillness of the room. She flipped it open and her heart sank as she took in the large diamond ring. Draco had given it to her just after they found out she was pregnant. She smiled sadly at the memory and how in love they were before closing the box and placing it back in the dresser.

With one last sweep of the room Hermione scrawled a quick note

Draco,

I'm sorry. Don't come for me. I don't want to be found. I wish I could have done this properly but I think we both know this is best. We've not been ourselves and so I need to rediscover who I am. I don't know when or even if I'll be back.

- Hermione.

And with that, she was gone.