The Beginning

Something could be said about silence. To any onlooker Hermione and Draco would simply look like a couple comfortable in their shared silence. They would merely appear to be a very content pair. And they are, but that's the problem. They're comfortable.

It wasn't always like this. There was a time; not all that long ago when his stubborn nature was endearing. Her argumentive tendencies showed great passion. His cologne was her favorite scent instead of the allergy inducing fragrance it is now and playing with her wild curls didn't mean removing large clumps from every drain in his apartment.

What changed? Where did it all go so horribly pear shaped that they would now be sitting over a cold breakfast sipping burnt coffee and reading separate papers? Where had their spark flown off too so quickly?

"Interesting article on page 4." Draco commented, not looking up from his copy of The Daily Prophet.

"Hmm? I'll have a look." Hermione replied dimly turning her page.

And just like that, the silence carried on.

One
Silence. Nothing bit silence.

"Much on at work?" Hermione asked, a dismissal attempt at a conversation. She was never one for small talk but she was grasping at straws.

" No. The usual. Sign here. Fund this." He waved his hand in the air as if to wave off their conversation.

Hermione sighed, defeat.

She was at a loss. Her heart was breaking and all she could do was sit around and let it happen. Prey it would be like ripping off a bandaid and remind herself that it won't hurt more than the bone crushing silent vortex they're currently being sucked in to.