Eighteen

The lake seemed dark and ominous to everyone who stood on the platforms waiting for the first champion to come up from the water. It didn't take long for people to figure out the 'treasure' waiting for them at the bottom. It was people. Grayson realized that once she couldn't find Ron or Hermione anywhere.

She stood with Ginny, Neville and other Gryffindors staring hopefully at the lake. Of course she was praying that Harry would be the first one up, but Cedric would be who she wanted next.

"Oh god what do you thinks going on down there?" Neville peered into the water nervously.

"No idea, I hope he's okay." Ginny said, "I hope everyone's okay though."

Not long after was it announced that Fleur would not be finishing the task. She was soaked head to toe, utterly distraught, and looked as if she had seen monsters. All the girls from her school gathered around her as she cried out wondering what was going to happen to her little sister.

Watching the french witch suffer made Grayson's heart ache, anxiety rise in her chest. Three people she cared about so genuinely could all die if this went wrong.

Cheering soon began as Cedric rose to the top of the lake with Cho in his arms. The victory was his by a landslide before Krum surfaced with Hermione. Slowly the hour was running out but there was no sign of Harry as Ron and Fluer's little sister came to the top. To think he saved the two of them and sacrificed himself did seem like something he would do..

But now he was tied for first with Cedric, closer to even more glory. Her and Ginny were bouncing around excitedly. They couldn't wait to be back on the boats to the shore to embrace their friends.

***

"Oi be careful." Ron took Grayson's hand helping her off the row boat. Everyone was back and okay, especially Harry with his moral fibre.

She was happy to be alongside everyone she cared about from Neville to Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Harry and the twins. Spirits were high after the task as they left the docks... but it didn't last long as certain Slytherins intercepted them.

Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode and other Slytherins stood in the group's way from leaving on the path.

"Can we help you?"

A sinister smile played onto the girl's lips. She hated the sight of Draco's fiancé, it made her sick- those perfect locks on her head, skin, smile, eyes... it wasn't fair how this girl had everything from beauty to Draco. Even seeing the ring on her finger made Pansy burn with jealousy.. "move aside I need to chat with Yang here."

"I'm pretty sure you don't."

"Guys it's okay let's just leave." Grayson didn't want to make a scene. Her friends were getting worked up already, which wouldn't end well.

Without warning Pansy strode over to Grayson, grabbing ahold of her hand knit Weasley sweater and dragged her to the edge of the dock. Her heart started beating fast as she cried out to the Slytherin to stop. No one moved at first from shock but by the time anyone could do anything it was too late.

As the Gryffindor's all tried to rush the dock to save her they were grabbed and pulled back. They needed to save her but the Slytherins refused to let any of them go, they fought for their grips and evil laughs sounded.

"She's going to die!!" Ginny screamed out, tears falling. She tried to thrash her way from Bulstrode but then she was thrown down to the wood of the dock.

Grayson's body had hit the waves of the lake, its frigidness eloping over her body dragging her down. Straining for air she thrashed under the water, her body not being able to move- water pushing down on her from all sides. The more she struggled the more disorientated she got from the fear setting in.. she tried to push with her arms and legs but couldn't find any leverage, for all she knew she was pushing herself down even further. The young girl's lungs burned for more air and even though she knew no oxygen would come to her, she still took a breath out of instinct. Cold water filled her lungs and the darkness started to overtake her. She was mortified, thinking of all she was about to lose as her consciousness started to sway..

Finally Harry was able to break free and dove back into the water he had spent an hour in.. her body was limp as he grasped her pulling her to the top.

Grayson's skin was pale close to white, lips a deep purple. There was no life to her.. she even felt lighter in his arms as her breathing seemed minuscule, gone.

"No!!" Ginny sobbed rushing to her best friend. "do something!!! SAVE HER!"

That's when it set in for the group of Slytherins. She couldn't swim... Pansy thought this would be a fun prank, maybe take it over the edge a little- but not this.

"Step aside! Get her to the hospital wing now!" Professor McGonagall yelled as she sped down shoving students aside. Snape followed close on her heels, his eyes widening when he saw Potter trying to give Yang cpr, poorly.

McGonagall was shocked to learn of students trying to drown another one of their peers. But when she saw who it was, her heart dropped. Grayson Yang's engagement to Draco Malfoy proved to be an issue at the start, but now it could possibly cost her life.

Professor Snape's eyes darkened as he looked over the Slytherins, his students. They shuddered in fear knowing they were in a lot of trouble and he wouldn't be going lightly on them. "you all, come with me now."

In the hospital wing, Ginny refused to leave her friend's side. She hated seeing her like this, so lifeless and in pain. The redhead couldn't imagine what she had felt underneath the water, but knowing she must've been terrified. She also felt Grayson's sufferings more than anyone else, having survived the Chamber together. It was like they were connected in a way that they always had one another. Tears stung her eyes thinking about losing her best friend.