[3] Piano Lessons

Start from the beginning

"I adore you, a lot."

I noticed Nate's cheeks start to turn to a rosy pink, which caused me to chuckle.

***

We finish eating at the diner, and as we were walking down the concrete sidewalk of the downtown streets, I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I stop Nate whom is holding my hand, and pull it out of my pocket.

"Piano Lessons Today - 12:30"

I look at the time on the screen, and see that the time is 12:20.

I get a panic expression on my face, which causes Nate to become worried.

"What's wrong, K?"

Oh, K. That little cute nickname he gives me.

I show him my phone screen, and he platters a smile on his face.

"I know where it's at, it's down the street and around the corner."

He leans down to the ground in front of me, facing the direction we were heading.

"Hop on, princess."

Without hesitation or questioning him, I quickly but assuringly get on his back, and wrap my arms around his neck and rest my chin on his shoulder as he runs down the blocks.

***

We finally get to the piano store, he lets me down onto the ground in front of the door.

In public places, he never allows me to touch the door knob.

He calls it "A gentleman thing."

Finally opening the door for me, we walk in together holding hands, and approach the lady at the front desk.

Her name is Cindy, she's the one who teaches me how to play piano.

"Hello there, Ms. Thang!"

She calls me that, because she's known me ever since I was a little girl. According to her, I was full of sass as a child, and that's what she has called me ever since.

Sometimes I feel like the reason she really calls me that is because she has forgotten that my real name is Kennedy, since its been forever since she's actually called me Kennedy.

"Let's go in the back room, shall we?"

I nod my head, and head back there while she is still at her desk asserting piano papers.

Nate Ruess

I wait for Kennedy to close the door behind her, giving her that warm and comforting smile she loves to death. It makes her blush like no other.

As soon as the door makes that click, I turn back to Cindy.

"Ms. Cindy, I need your assistance in something."

She looks up to me with a concerned look, although with a fragile smile.

"Yes, dear?"

"Do you think Kennedy really likes to play piano?"

Cindy sits down her papers in a neat stack, and glances back at the white door that opens to the room where Kennedy is, then looks back at me.

"Yes. Yes she does."

I look down at my hands which are entwined and sitting on top of the counter on the desk, then I look back to her with a smile.

"I would like to buy a piano for her, surprisingly. I don't want her to know about it till I get home. But I don't know if the lesson will be long enough in time for me to get it from the store to our house, and for me to get back here, acting like I never left."

"Sweety, I can make it longer if needed."

I smile to her, glad that she gets where I'm coming from.

***

Kennedy Fain

I walk out of the lesson room, looking at Ms. Cindy who is just now getting up from the piano chair.

"I think you are doing very well, Ms. Kennedy."

I smile to her and give her a slight hug, since she is fragile and very wrinkled.

"And look who is here!"

She pays attention to the waiting room, and I lay my eyes on a wore out Nate, who is trying to calm his breathing.

I didn't pay attention to it though, I just walked over to him and gave him a hug after he rose up and held his arms open to me.

"I love you, Kennedy."

He kisses the top of my head, which causes me to blush.

I look up to him, and then look back to Ms. Cindy.

"Well, it's getting dark, I think you two kiddos should be getting home!"

She smiles very boldly to me as I wave goodbye, and Nate closes the glass door to her store and reaches for my right hand.

"How did the lessons go?" He asks me curiously.

I smile to him.

"Good?"

I nod to him, giving a tiny giggle.

***

Nate Ruess

After walking slowly and it's pitch black dark outside, we reach the front door of the house.

I hold Kennedy with my left arm and allow her to rest her head on my shoulder as I place the key in the lock and turn it.

I push the door open, and reach around for the light switch, then walk in, losing the door behind Kennedy.

I turn around and smile immediately, seeing the shocked and surprised Kennedy.

In front of her in the middle of the living room floor, stood a shiny black new piano, with a bouquet of red roses laying on the top, and red rose petals spreaded around the top and around it on the floor.

She was just so speechless looking, I kiss her on the right cheek to kind of get her out of her im-so-shocked coma.

She points to herself, kind of asking "Is this for me?".

I nod to her, which causes her to smile,

I gesture my hand out to the piano, and walk behind her as she walks to the piano.

She sits on the piano bench, and lets the tip of her fingers run over the brand new untouched keys.

I sit down beside her, which causes her to look at me while smiling.

"Go ahead, play it."

She nods to me slowly, then looks down at the piano, preparing her fingers to play a song.

As she starts to play the keys, I recognize the song, Tip Of My Tongue.

She plays it for a couple of moments, and I begin to sing the lyrics.

"Oh, dear, never saw you coming, oh, my, look what you've done."

She looks up to me as she plays the song along with my singing, and I smile to her.

"Always, on the tip of my tongue."

With that being said, she stops playing, and keeps her eyes on me.

I lean down to her, and kiss her perfect plum lips.

She still keeps her eyes on me, and I reach over to the light switch on the wall.

Within seconds, the complete room was dark. You could see nothing, but only feel.

I start to take her clothes off, and kiss her lips slowly.

I lay her down on the cold wooden floor, lay on her, entwine our fingers while we kiss.

We made sweet love on the floor of our one month anniversary.