Chapter 17 [Part 2] (Edited)

Start from the beginning

Their bodies were impaled on the beams which used to hold up various houses, others were decapitated and a few of them stabbed through to the other side of their body."

Drew looked shocked, but not horrified by my words as he grabbed more ice from the bar cart.

"So they called for a trial by command." He spoke.

It wasn't a question, and it didn't come as surprise to me that it had reached the ears of the Lican house itself.

"Yes, the doctor who treated me, the previous running commander and Adachi voted that I be put to death while my Alpha and...our shaman thought otherwise."

My throat grew thick at the mere thought of Hannibel and I knew what was coming next.

"I am told that you and this shaman were close, it must have been difficult for you to deal with his death."

I nodded in agreement as again, I polished off another glass of whiskey.

"Hannibel, he was a great man. He loved to tease, but he was stern about knowledge and gods was he old. He taught me how to harness my energy and use it to conjur up spells, he taught me to control this beast trapped inside of my body for so long but most importantly Hannibel taught me that it was alright to feel.

After my leaving, I felt weak upon showing any form of emotion. Whether it was with Alex, or even with my Alpha, I never had the comfort of being one hundred percent certain of my feelings but with Hannibel that came easy. When he died, I felt responsible, I'd just lost my men and Alex and I were fighting so often about such small details. I no longer felt welcome in his arms, I pushed him away and as a result I lost one of my best friends."

I could tell Drew wasn't thrilled with my mentioning of my relationship with Alex, but a look of sympathy overpowered his jealousy and he urged me to continue.

The rest of the night went on like this, we would converse about things that had been going on since my departure, tell anecdotes about what we'd missed and I felt myself laughing occasionally.

Drew eventually moved from behind his desk, to the seat next to mine as we continued to talk and I found that I wasn't fazed at all.

"Hannibel was that type of man, gods he was so strange. I once conjured up a rain spell in our kitchen and he was having a gripe for days about controlling my emotions. That was one of the first time I'd had a good laugh."

I smiled at the memory and poured the last of the whiskey into my glass, clinking the tumbler against Drew's as we both savored the last of our drinks.

"I heard some people calling you Imperiae Tenebri when you arrived, what exactly is that?" He questioned.

"Mm, it translates to daughter of darkness. My pack didn't know of my ancestry when I came to them, my saving them helped them secure their territory and keep peace within their lands. It is a nickname I am still not accustomed to."

He smiled and watched as I pulled my hair from the bun atop my head, letting the waves fall down my shoulders.

His eyes were glazed over with a haze of scotch and lust as he leaned in closer to me, pushing my hair behind my shoulder and tracing my collarbone with his finger.

I shivered at his touch, not quite understanding why I was permitting this before I pulled away abruptly.

"I'm sorry, it's the-" he cleared his throat, "It's the mate thing, you know?"

I nodded. I did know.

"We should get to bed, it's late." I stood, finding the room to spin a little and I laughed at the feeling it gave me in my stomach.