Chapter 19- Homeward

Emily lifted her head and looked around. The cave was still dark as night and she was still trapped inside. Yet she felt a spark of peace inside her. A peace that told her everything was going to be ok.

Before she could even begin to consider what she would do next, she heard a sound. Almost inaudible, but it was there. Emily carefully stood up and strained to listen closer.

"Em!"

Emily smiled once she could make out the words. It was Magena, her small yet beautiful voice was calling her name!

"I am here!" She replied and moved to where the sound was coming from. Feeling around in the dark, her fingers grazed the wall of rocks that had blocked the entrance.

Without a moments hesitation she began to remove the rocks. She forced herself to go slow and cautious, so as not to make the situation worse. Beyond the blockade, she heard the similar sound of tumbling rocks where they were being removed as well.

Emily felt excitement well up inside her as the prospect of being rescued drew nearer. Finally, a ray of daylight burst through. Emily stopped and reached out to feel the light. It shimmered and danced on her hand and in her palm as she played with it.

The pocket of light grew larger as more and more rocks were removed. Suddenly the light was blocked as a face came to the hole.

"Emily! Are you well?"

It was Etu. Emily smiled as she looked into the boy's face. She never thought she'd be so happy to see another human for as long as she lived.

"Yes, I am." She replied.

Emily could hear both Etu and Magena huffing as they lifted the heavy rocks and moved them away. Every so often little snipts of their native language would catch her ear. She could only imagine what they were saying.

Suddenly the cave was filled with the bright light of the morning as the once tiny pocket was now large enough for her to fit through. Emily shielded her eyes due to the sudden intensity.

"Come!" She heard Etu shout.

She wasted no time. Pulling herself up she went through the hole head first. Her head was down, but she felt two hands grab her arms and pulled her out. One foot landed on the solid ground then the other. She was free!

"Em!" Magena said happily and engulfed the pilgrim in a hug. Emily returned the embrace.

She then pulled away and looked carefully at her two friends. "Forgive me, I-"

Etu broke in. "No need forgive. You are safe."

Magena quickly pointed at the ground then gestured to Emily. Emily bit her lip as she tried to interpret for herself.

"We heard you scream. Followed wolf tracks." Etu said.

Emily nodded and glanced at the ground. Indeed she saw an imprint of a paw print. She felt some sort of an explanation was due.

"I could not sleep. I did not intend to venture so far. When the wolves gave chase, I fled to the cave."

She watched as Etu quickly spoke with Magena, translating the English words into their own tongue. Emily decided against going into further detail concerning the angel. Although she knew exactly what she had to do next.

She turned to Magena and smiled sadly. "I thank you for inviting me to your home. However, I must-" She lost the words as she choked on them.
Magena smiled as she took Emily's hand and patted it. Somehow she understood. If not in word, then by tone.

"We take you home." Said Etu.

"You are not angry?" Emily asked.

"No. Family needs to be together. To be strong like the great Oak." The boy replied, making fists to gesture the word strong.

Emily nodded and gave a smile. "Yes. Thank you."

~~~~~~~~

The morning was fading fast when Emily stepped back out of the treeline and into her own village. It was the same village, yet a new Emily. She turned to wave farewell to Magena and Etu but frowned when she saw there were already gone.

Emily took a deep breath and made her way further into the village. The closer she came, the harder the memories attacked her. The reason for her leaving, the cold and harsh words she had said and the hatred that had radiated from her.

'Lord, help me.' She pleaded as uncertainty was growing inside her. What if nobody forgave her? What if the Smiths refused her to stay in their home? What if she was not welcome and forced to leave the village?

Her hands began to sweat and her mind raced so quickly that a dull headache was forming. She kept her head bent down, not ready to look around just yet.

Suddenly she collieded with something, or rather, something collided into her. Arms embraced her tightly and someone was sobbing on her shoulder. Emily hesitantly looked and felt a wave of joy when she recognized the familiar fiery red hair.

It was Mrs. Mary Smith.

Emily wrapped her arms around the motherly woman and began to weep.

"I am sorry." She was able to choke out through the tears.

Mrs. Smith said nothing as she tightened her grip around her lost child. After a moment they heard someone running toward them and calling,

"Emily!"

Up came little Betty Smith, colliding into the hug as well. Mrs. Smith reluctantly let go of Emily.

"Where were you my child?" Her eyes shown worry and fear.

"I fled. But I know I was wrong. I regret every hateful word I have spoken to you."

Mary smiled and patted the girl's hair. "I have always forgiven you my dear."

Emily felt more tears coming. Why had she never noticed before how Mary Smith was so much like her own mother in many ways. True, Mrs. Smith would never replace her dear mother. Yet it was like having a piece of her mother with her.

"I- I believe now. I have accepted Jesus." Emily said, though not quiet sure how to say it.

Mary beamed and clapped her hands together happily. "Your family is rejoicing in Heaven."

Emily nodded and Mary continued,

"You will see them again. Their death is not farewell, but rather, I shall see you again."

Betty looked up at Emily then at her mother. 

"I told you the pretty flower would make her happy again."

Mary Smith laughed and picked up her baby. "Yes little one."

Mrs. Smith laid an arm around Emily's shoulder and together the three made their way home to share in the glorious news of Emily's return.

A/n

Yay!! I loved the happy ending and I hope you guys did too. It's not quite over yet though. Thank you all for your patience btw! :)