Chapter 4- The Darkness

Emily stared off into the darkness of the ship. Though they had landed ashore earlier that evening, none save a few brave men had ventured out to spy out the land.

The men had returned hours earlier with news of wide and rich land, timber a plenty, and running streams of crisp clean water. Spirits soared and hopes were high. This promising land snuffed out the darkness. For all, but one.

While the men had related their account to the pilgrims, Emily had sat off by herself in the darkest corner she could find, feeling numb and cold from the lack of love and happiness within.

Much to her arguments, sobbing and yelling, her mother's body had been removed from their section and wrapped in a bag for burial. It had been a dreadful sight that stung both the ears and hearts of her fellow voyagers.

"Emily, please listen to reason. We can not leave a corps in the living quarters!" One man had stated.

"You are more a corps than she, for you have no heart!" Emily had screamed at him. Her face red and wet with tears.

"Is it not enough that we are to hold the funeral until we all go ashore?" Asked another man as he laid a hand on her shoulder.

Emily had turned and swiped away his hand and while she was turned around, the other man took up Elizabeth Johnston's body and carried it above deck.

The scream that escaped Emily's weak and broken body had filled the ship with dread. The scream ended and she collapsed to her knees and cried until no tear would come.

Now, alone and full of hate, she sat. No food would she accept nor a friendly word.

At that moment there was a rustling sound of long skirts drawing near. She glanced up and scowled.

"Emily dear, please eat this." Mrs. Smith gently urged as she knelt down and held out an old and dry biscuit.

"Go away." The order was crisp and cold. Much more icy than the waters described in the new land.

"You will regret not eating." Mrs. Smith stated.

"My heart can hold no more regret than it already does."

"You are not the only one to have lost someone."

"I have not lost somebody. I have lost everbody!" Exclaimed Emily.

Mrs. Smith, lost at words to say, stood and started to walk away when she quickly turned back to the girl and laid the biscuit in her lap. Emily glared at the poor morsel of food.

There she sat, wide awake, well after the pilgrims had fallen asleep with dreams of a new home. Silently, she picked up the biscuit and brought it to her mouth. The one bite she nibbled on stuck in her throat and threatened to choke her. Emily spit it out and wished fervently for water.

The remainder of the biscuit still in hand, she remembered her mother's last words:

"No matter how this voyage will end I want you to remember today. Even in the hardest of times, you can find thankfulness. Continue to be my brave Emily and love God."

Her mother had asked her daughter to fulfill these instructions and she had failed miserably. She was not brave, thankful, nor did she love God.

A final tear ran down her face and dropped into her lap. She was now angry at a new person. A person who she could never get away from or forgive. Emily clutched her fists tightly, the biscuit crushed and crumpled, as she let her anger grow towards her new enemy.

Herself.

A/N
Yay another update! I truly appreciate all of the wonderful comments and votes! You guys keep me going. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!