chapter 20: fire with fire

How Long Will I Love You?-Ellie Goulding

 All You Ever-Hunter Hayes

 Right Now-One Direction  

   Zayn can't seem to drive fast enough as we glide through traffic, the lights illuminating our faces. All I can think about is Harry, curled up against the hospital bed feeling alone. Why would he cry out for me, of all people? I continue my glare out the window, taking in the quiet tranquility of the city. It contradicts my pounding head and jumbled nerves. 

   Zayn is trying to talk to me, but I ignore him. Nothing he can say will calm me. Suddenly, the looming shadow of the hospital is above us and before the truck can stop, I am out. I head towards the gleaming lobby, my heart racing and my bare feet pounding against the rough gravel. 

  "Jade! Jade!" Zayn tries to catch up to me, but I'm too far ahead. Skidding to a stop at the help desk, I stare the clerk down. "Harry? Harry Styles?"

   She smiles snobbily at me. "I'm sorry sweets, visiting hours are over."

   "Please," I am desperate now. "I'm his sister and I flew all the way in from Canada." I lie.

   Her face turns sympathetic, and she smiles. "Yes, but only a few-"

  Before she can finish her sentences, I run towards the stairs, my heart racing so fast I think it might explode. When I get to the first floor, I'm panting, standing in the middle of the sterile hallway with my ripped tank top and shorts. Then I realize I have no idea what room number Harry is in. 

   "Miss, can I help you?" A young nurse smiles at me.

   "Where is Harry Styles?" I ask, knowing how vague I sound. 

   She glances over my appearance before checking her clipboard. "Room 221b."

  Nodding politely, I turn back to the stairs, ready to run up another flight. Oomph. I push into Zayn. 

  "Jade, calm down." He reaches his arms around my shaking frame. I am tempted to stay here with him, comforted. But I can't. 

   I rip myself away and sprint up the steps, desperate. My head is running with thoughts so fast I can't even distinguish one thought from the other. 219, 220, 221a, I stop at Harry's. There are no flowers or loved ones sitting in the space between the curtain and where Harry lies. Slowly, I pull the cheap platic material aside to reveal Harry, asleep.

   His face is busted, purple flesh erupting from around his eye, his lip swollen. He still looks beautiful, with his dark tattoos contrasting against the white of the sheets. I gently push his curls away from his forehead and kiss his forehead, right where the wrinkle appears when he is grumpy. The heartbeat monitor's steady pace lulls me to sleep, my head on the familiar spot on his chest and my hand in his clammy one. 

_____________

"Jade." A throaty voice wakes me up. Harry?

 But no, his frame is still plagued with a deep sleep. The intruder is Zayn, holding his jacket out for me to put on. Suddenly, the adrenaline of last night wears off and I am left feeling cold and empty. I reach for the leather jacket, surprised to find the inside lined with wool. It smells like....mint and fresh grass. I try to search my brain for where I remember the scent, but I can't, everything is a distant memory. 

    He also hands me a plate of half-warm noodles. "Breakfast." He confirms my thoughts and sits beside me, digging into his own plate of microwave ready meals. 

   My plastic fork digs into the gooey substance, bringing out what resembles a noodle, but I can't be sure. My entire focus, though, is on the sleeping form in front of me.