Chapter Two: Alright

Start from the beginning

Without a moment of hesitation, I nodded. We still had a little bit more time before the dinner rush arrives and I was more than bored waiting to work.

I approached the table and as I got nearer, I slowed down. There sat a boy and a girl, though the boy’s back was facing me. The thing that made me stop all together was the woman seated right across from him.

Years may have gone by since I last saw her but there was no doubt it was her. She lifted her head from the menu and when she spotted me, her eyes turned into a sparkle of delight.

“Savannah,” She grinned in recognition and finally, my feet obeyed my commands as they stopped right in front of their table.

True to my speculations, Macy Dean was sitting right across from her brother.

Jasper looked at anywhere but me, clearly ignoring his sister’s delight.

“It’s been so long since I’ve seen you!” She stood up from her chair as she went to hug me. I didn’t know what to do, it’s really awkward. It has been years since I last saw the woman and the guy that introduced the both of us to each other was no longer talking to me.

Please earth, swallow me up right now.

She pulled back and my unresponsiveness didn’t seem to bother her one bit, “Oh right, you’re working.”

She sat back down, trying to look like a regular costumer but both of us knew it was too late for this. She was practically bouncing off of her chair as she said her order.

I nodded as I scribbled whatever she was saying before I turned to Jasper. No eye contacts, just a look of expectation in his way.

“Coffee,” He finally mumbled after a long while.

“What’s wrong, little brother of mine?” Macy teased, “You’ve suddenly became all quiet.”

I wonder if she knows that her brother and I are no longer in speaking terms.

He shook his head, waving her off. This was my cue to leave, I don’t want to stay in the presence of these two for more than a minute longer.

“Your order will be with you in a while,” I said like the usual protocol. I turned on my heel as I tried to walk as normally as I can back into the kitchen.

Heel, toe. Heel, toe. Heel, toe. Don’t trip, Savannah; they’re watching you.

Pushing the kitchen door open, I felt like I was going to crash on the floor but I kept my cool and delivered the piece of paper where I had written their orders.

Tristan noticed that I was practically out of life as I slumped against the wall. He approached me with his eyebrows scrunched up in question, “What happened out there?”

I was thankful that Tristan was one of the few students in the school that wasn’t afraid of me. We talked on a daily basis during work but when we’re at school, we just gave a nod of acknowledgement every time we pass each other at the halls.

That’s just how it goes.

“Jasper is out there,” I gulped, “With his sister.”

I thought that Tristan would keep his cool, tell me what I should do. Imagine my surprise when he started to pace back and forth, cussing under his breath.

“Shit,” he cursed, “What if he finds out that I’m here!”

He shouldn’t be the one worrying here, he was safe and hidden in the kitchen while I was given no choice but to face them with a straight face.