Part Eight- Exposition

"Hello, Ella, lovely to see you again." He greeted with an empowered smirk, extending his arm.

***

Ella tensely shook his hand.

"Likewise, Mr Wolfe. " She managed to choke out.

"So you visited this Mr Wolfe?" Mrs Valour asked with an astonished look.

"Yes, ma'am." She replied with a brief nod.

Ella was not flabbergasted that he was the sponsor for the orphanage, what stunned her more was the fact that he was standing right in front of her at this very moment.

"Ophelia, may I please speak Ella in private?" Mr Wolfe's deep voice asked.

Nobody knew Mrs Valour's real name, when asked, she'd always say- "It's Mrs Valour to you!" Yet, she had just met Mr Wolfe and has already given her first name. Mrs Valour's gaze turned to the smouldering man in front of her.

"Oh, of course." She confirmed, fixing her heavily rimmed glasses while eyeing him up and down.

Ella gave Mrs Valour a quick look of scorn. Mrs Valour was a fifty year old woman who had been married thrice. One would think she'd be over the whole romance saga, but now Ella is seeing a whole new side of her, her whole aura screamed vixen.

"Let's go to the infamous garden." He stated, now looking directly at her.

Her heart began thumping as she led the way, knowing that Mr Wolfe was behind her caused her palms to shamelessly sweat.

***

"Have a seat, Ella." He instructed and gestured towards a park bench.

He waited for her to sit down before he did the same. She stared dead ahead, not wanting to make any unnecessary eye contact with the intense looking Mr Wolfe. The thick silence between them was nearly tangible. Ella wondered about his reason for calling her aside, if he had any reason at all but to intimidate her.

"Isn't that just a magnificent piece of work?" He finally asked, his cavernous voice breaking through the once substantial atmosphere.

Ella followed his gaze, he was referring to the beautiful, sculpted fountain in the middle of the garden. It was bigger and far more magnificent than any fountain she had ever seen.

"It's beautiful, sir. A bit eroded, though." She softly replied.

"I could have it fixed up, if you like." He replied, turning his head towards her. Feeling his gaze on her caused her insecurities to kick in. She did not face him.

She wondered why he'd want to fix up an entire fountain for her, then again- she wondered why he did anything for her at all. A reason then popped into her head, it all made sense now.

Publicity.

She thought of the narrative. A hated, merciless billionaire meets an underprivileged, young girl and gives her all she desired without her asking. He may have concocted the plan the moment he found out she lived in an orphanage. Doing this would cause many Wolfe doubters to instantly believe in him. His profits would grow, many people would invest in his company seeing that he is selfless and charitable- not to mention all the fan girls he'd achieve.