Nine

Breakfast was delicious. I ate beside Hayley and Yvonne who, over our short time together, had already become good friends. "This is delicious," Yvonne moaned as she took a bite of scrambled eggs seasoned with ground salt and pepper.

Hayley nodded in agreement. "Hey, have either of you two had dates with Prince Charles yet? I heard that Leona Jones from Panama got the first date last night."

I swallowed. A date right after the first impression? So he must've taken the power-dating tactic. Was my upcoming date just another task for him? "What'd they do?"

Hayley finished chewing her bacon. "I don't know for sure, but I heard they went fishing at a nearby pond in the garden. Leona told me that she used to do a lot of fishing back home."

"So you've met this girl?" Yvonne raised her eyebrows.

Hayley looked slightly offended. "Of course, haven't you?"

"I try not to converse with the competition," joked Yvonne. Though it was only a joke, there was some truth to what she had said. Speaking with these girls was a rocky road to tread.

Hayley chuckled. "Good to see that you think so highly of yourself," she said, rolling her eyes. She scooped up her day dress and rose from her seat. "I'm going to go to the Women's Room to read," she told us. "Anyone want to come with?"

"I'll come," Yvonne answered, standing up as well. "Harlow, you coming?"

I shook my head. "I'll hang back this time," I said. "I have...something going on later that I should probably rest up for."
Yvonne was first to catch on. "A date?!"

"Shh!" I hushed her. Could she be any louder? The royal family was still eating!

Yvonne leaned over. "A date?" she hissed.

I rubbed my arm uncomfortably but nodded. "Yeah," I said.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Hayley looked concerned. "We can help you prepare."

"Yeah," chided Yvonne.

I shrugged. "Okay."

"Gosh!" Yvonne whispered, slapping a dark hand to her forehead. "I have no clue why you didn't tell me; I've been on loads of dates. How long have you known about this?"

"Just last night," I told them. "He wanted to make up for my bad first impression."

Hayley didn't even blink an eye. "So when exactly did he ask you this?"

I blushed. "He came to my room last night to check on me." They gasped. "And he brought flowers." They gasped again.

"Omigoodness, special treatment much?" Yvonne giggled. "He is such a gentleman!"

"I guess so," I mumbled.

Yvonne stared at me. "Oh, sweet, innocent Harlow. You have much to learn. We have much work to do. Shall we meet in the Women's Room in ten?"

"I suppose so."

"Great. So it's a deal. See you!"

~~~~

The Women's Room was relatively empty with most of the girls gone for breakfast still. A willowy girl with white-blond hair and pale, blue eyes sat in a corner, writing. I thought her name was Lynne. On the opposite wall, plopped on a squashy velvet armchair, sat a pretty blond with turquoise eyes.
"Leona, Lynne," Hayley said when she arrived. "Hi!" The prettier girl held up a hand in greeting. The other, Lynne, was silently engrossed in her writing. Hayley glanced over at me. "Right, I should probably introduce you two," she said. She turned to the pretty blond. "Leona, this is Harlow Davy. Harlow, Leona Jones. Leona was the girl who had the first date yesterday." Leona nodded at this. "Harlow is going to be the second date today."