Twenty

I sighed as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. It had taken several gown options to find this one: it was perfect, white with a flowing skirt, gold sash around the waist, sheer veil. Diamonds dotted the hem and neckline. Charlie had given me a lovely gold locket to match. My feet had been placed in glass slippers--yes, actual glass slippers--which honestly made me feel like Cinderella. Eliza, Ginevra, and Bedelia had teased my hair into a half-up knot on the crown of my head. The updo reminded me of a rose.

  "It symbolizes innocence," Eliza had told me as she braided. They tossed a light dab of silver and gold glitter in my hair and had sprayed sweetly-scented perfumes.

   "Are you ready for your wedding?" wondered Bedelia.

    I grinned. "As ready as I'll ever be!"

    "A wedding is a big deal," mused Eliza. "Particularly a wedding to a prince." She patted my shoulder, signaling that she was done with my hair.

   "You're going to be queen soon," agreed Bedelia.

   I grimaced. "Don't remind me, please!"

   Ginevra stroked the ends of my hair. "You're going have to get used to the title, dear. It's a huge responsibility, but also a blessing. It certainly has its perks."

  I frowned. "Like what?"

  Eliza giggled. "For one, you get to marry a king."

  "You also get a lot of excellent food and clothing," added Bedelia. "Plus you have to produce an heir. You love children."

  "I'm just imagining a bunch of little Charlies running around the palace," laughed Eliza.

  I chuckled. "I guess you're right. I'm just a little nervous, that's all."

  Ginevra nodded and straightened my skirt. "Understandably so."

~~~~   

Long, luxurious sky blue carpet led down the aisle up to the altar. Pews were made of fine mahogany and wedding bells decorated the side pillars. I stood at the back of the grand church, viciously adjusting my gown.

  "It's fine, Harlow, really," Yvonne assured me. She and Ophelia, my little sister, were my bridesmaids. Alice, my youngest sister, was behaving as a flower girl along with one of Yvonne's nieces. After we had gotten to know each other well, I'd selected Leona as my maid-of-honor. She was going to be great. Yvonne had politely declined when I had asked her; she didn't believe that she was fit for the job of marrying off a prince and soon-to-be-princess.

  Leona leaned over to fix one of the straps. "There we go," she grinned. "Now you look amazing."

  I smiled. "Thank you, girls." I turned to Leona. "And thank you for filling in with this job. It really does mean a lot to us."

She smiled sheepishly. "Thank you for requesting me. I'll be sure to ask you, too, when Daniel decides to tie the knot." She gestured over her shoulder to where Daniel, the palace's head chef, was standing. They had been dating for six months now.

  I rolled my eyes. "Leona, you literally just started dating him. Don't expect him to propose to you now."

  She blushed. I only saw her blush when the news included Daniel. "I know, I know...I've just never had anybody care about me quite like him."

  I shook my head. "Leona, you've never had a boyfriend before. Of course no one's cared about you before."

  She slapped my arm with her corsage playfully. "Just because you're the bride doesn't mean you get to be rude!"

  I snickered. "Sorry, bridal privileges."

  Yvonne leaned over and elbowed me jokingly in gut. "If I were you, I'd milk those privileges for all they're worth," she joked. "The only other time you get them is when you're pregnant."

  A palace attendant came over and tapped my shoulder. "Excuse me, Lady Harlow?"

  "Yes?"

  She checked her watch briefly before looking back up at me. "We plan on beginning the processional in three minutes. Shall I get your mother?"

  I nodded. "That would be lovely."

  She whisked away to find my mother. In a wedding processional, the bride's mother is typically supposed to go down the aisle first.

  We waited anxiously, me straightening my dress, hair, and veil, Yvonne and Leona fiddling with their skirts. I had settled for a lovely coral and gold theme. As the processional organ music began, I knew my mother was walking down the aisle. It was almost my time. I rubbed my arm uncomfortably.

  As the two flower girls, Alice and Yvonne's niece, set out to the front of the church, I knew it was my time to shine. I grabbed my skirts and my father's elbow just when the orchestra picked up the music.

  "Are you prepared for this, darling?" my father asked as we approached the altar. "Remember, you're always free to turn back. Just say the words."

  I shook my head subtly to keep the audience from seeing any hesitation. "No, Dad," I said. "I'm ready."

  "It's a huge responsibility, pumpkin. You sure you're ready to take this on?"

  I nodded. "Positive." I'd never felt so sure of anything in my entire life.

  We reached the front of the church and the officiant glanced at me to start. I saw Charlie standing firm, looking quite dapper in a black tux. It was time.

~~~~

I wiggled my hips and jiggled my fists as I danced. It was the reception of my wedding and every one was having a great time. Fairy lights were glittering and strung up over the large tent's ceiling. Sparkling lanterns dangled above the wooden picnic tables, which were so rustic and artsy that they must have cost the palace thousands of dollars. Live music, a popular band from Paloma, played on a lifted stage. People from all over danced crazily to the pounding music. My little sisters danced in circles together, giggling all the way. My brother, James, had brought his new girlfriend, Odessa, over for the festivities.

  So far it had been the best night of my life.

  Charlie and I had said our vows and were now married.

  I was happy.

~~~~