Confusing Conversations

I walked away from a stunned Axel, Olivia, and Petra. I didn't look back at them so they wouldn't see my tear stained face. I ran outside, hoping to get as far away from them as possible. The field outside had a few trees and one had a bench underneath. Hardly anyone was out there, so I took a seat on the bench, trying to straighten out my thoughts. I let the tears fall freely on my face when I heard a voice behind me. I turned around, expecting to see Aiden, but instead I found... Lukas.

    "Hey, Jesse. Um... are you okay," he asked, taking a seat beside me. "Yeah. I'm fine," I replied, trying to hide my tears, even though I knew he'd already seen them. "I know you aren't," he said. I took a deep breath and sighed. "You see that guy over there," I pointed to one of the boys right across the field. He nodded his head. "Why are we talking about him," he asked. I shrugged. "I don't know my own story. Might as well read someone else's. Anyways, he was inside with his friends a minute ago. Then he just turned and walked away from them. For no reason at all. I was watching. They didn't even say anything to him. He just turned and walked away, and now he's sitting in the grass out here for no reason at all," I explained. I looked to see his reaction.

    "There's a reason. Maybe not a big reason. Maybe not an obvious one. But there's a reason," he said. "Do you think he just... decided to leave his friends? Like, he just randomly decided he doesn't like them anymore," I asked. Lukas shook his head. "People don't do that... at least not good people," he said. I looked away from him, ashamed that he'll never know why I left my friends. He'll think I'm a monster to do that to them. Just then Aiden, Maya, and Gill found us.

    "Hey, Jesse. Lukas," he said, leaning his arms on the back of the bench. I felt anger boil up in my stomach. "Screw off," I snapped. He pretended to be shocked. "Jesse! That's no way to talk to a friend! Or... are we not friends," he teased as he smirked. I growled under my breath, but reminded myself that this was all for Axel and Olivia. "Hey, Aiden. How's it going," I said in a much calmer tone, but I made it clear that I didn't like him. Lukas looked between us, confused.

    Aiden noticed Lukas' confused expression and explained it. "Didn't you hear Lukas? Jesse ditched those losers and joined us. Finally realised we're better," he said, smirking. Lukas looked back at me with an expression of shock and what I knew was disappointment. I looked away from him, ashamed. "Well... welcome to the group, I guess," he said, scratching the back of his neck.