The Hospital

I sat on the hospital bed and stayed silent as the people in front of me spouted out different stories to me. My head was still spinning. I tried to listen to everything, but I could only pick up small bits of what they said. My name is Jesse. I am 17 years old. Had I chosen heads, I would've remembered that. But I chose tails.

"Um..." I interrupted them and they immediately stopped talking. It was the first time I'd spoken. "What are your names again," I asked. They exchanged knowing glances before the dark-skinned girl spoke. "I'm Olivia. One of your best friends. That's Axel." She pointed to the tall boy in a green shirt. "He's your other best friend.

"And his name," I said, pointing to the blonde boy leaning against the wall and looking at his phone. He hadn't said anything since we got here. "That's Lukas," Olivia said. The boy perked up at the sound of his name being said. "Yeah?" He obviously hadn't been listening. "She just forgot your name," Olivia explained. "Oh," he said, but continued to walk over to us to join in the conversation.

"In the ambulance you said you were my boyfriend," I said in a questioning tone. "Um... yeah. I only said that so they'd let me ride with you. I didn't think you'd want to be alone for the ride and Axel and Olivia weren't there when you hit your head. That's why they met us here at the hospital," he explained. I nodded.

"So, the hospital said you'll be able to go back to school in a few days. You'll get some extra help with your work of course," Olivia said, changing the subject. I kept nodding my head, but I stayed silent. After a few minutes, Axel and Olivia left, leaving me with Lukas.

"You don't have anywhere to be," I asked, looking up at him. He shook his head. "Not really. I can leave if you want me to. I just thought you might want some company," he said, running a hand through his hair. "What? No, I wasn't asking you to leave, I just... didn't think you'd want to have to stay with me," I said. He let out a small chuckle and sat down next to me on the hospital bed.

"So, is your head feeling any better? That was a pretty big fall," He said. "A little bit. I mean, it's not bleeding anymore," I said, gesturing to the row of stitches on my forehead. Luckily, they were covered by my bangs so I didn't look like a total freak. He nodded. "Well that's good," he said, trying to lighten the mood. I chuckled lightly before my mood dropped again. "What's wrong," he asked. I looked down at my twiddling thumbs. "I don't know. I just...  I'm being told who I am, what I've done, and how my life's gone by people I don't even know-" He stopped me to correct me. "You do know them. You just don't remember them," he said. I nodded before continuing. "I don't know anything. Anything at all. And I just wake up and my head is throbbing and there's blood and everything is blurry and I have to focus on people explaining who I am to me and I just... it's a lot to take in," I finished.

He didn't say anything for a little while. He just sat there, rubbing my back. Suddenly, my vision goes blurry and my head starts pounding, like someone took a hammer and started banging it into my head as hard as possible. I clutched my head and tried to suppress a scream. I could here Lukas asking me what's wrong but I couldn't talk. I gritted my teeth as tightly as possible until the pounding faded away.

I slowly opened my eyes again and took my hands off of my head. "Jesse, are you alright? Do I need to get a nurse," Lukas asked me in a panicked tone. I just shook my head. "No. Don't get a nurse. I'm fine. I am! My head just hurts a little bit," I said, a little too chirpy. I really didn't want to have to talk to more people. He gave me an uncertain look, but decided not to push it.