"The door was unlocked," lied Ginny.

"Dear me, I'll need to be more careful from now on. Whatever are you doing in here?"

"I came to visit Hermione," said Ginny. "She's a friend of mine."

"Yes, well, I'm afraid we aren't accepting visitors. Now go."

Madam Pomfrey shooed Ginny out. Ginny expected the hallways to be empty, so she let her tears roll freely again.

Viola was walking down the hallway at early dawn. She was surprised to see someone exit the Hospital Wing. Someone with flaming, red hair.

Both girls stopped in their tracks. Viola watched Ginny wipe her cheeks with her sleeves. Had the girl been crying?

"What were you doing up at the Hospital Wing?" Viola asked.

"Nothing," says Ginny in a defiant tone. "I had a bit of a scratch is all. What're you doing?"

Viola shrugged. "Going to see Professor Snape about some potions homework."

"Must be sone pretty urgent homework for you to have to visit him this early," said Ginny.

"Must be a pretty nasty cut," Viola retorted.

Ginny's eyes hardened. "Well it was nice talking to you," she said frostily.

She marched past Viola, who watched her go. Viola knew Ginny had been lying, just as much as she herself had been lying. What she was really doing was going to tell Snape her theory. And she'd better hurry if she wanted to get there before the rest of the castle woke up.

It was cold in the dungeons. Viola wrapped her cloak tightly around herself, before knocking on the door of Professor Snape's office.

She was surprised by the swiftness with which Snape opened the door. There he stood, looking down at her from behind his hooked nose.

Viola was actually one of the more preferred students of Severus Snape, but even she cowered under his intimidating presence.

Everything about him was scary, from his piercing eyes to the black clothes he wore. It was so early in the morning Viola couldn't help but wonder if he even slept in those black clothes. She also wondered if he ever wore any other color, it was as if he were in permanent mourning.

"Yes?" said Snape.

Any other teacher would have scolded her for being out of bed alone. Snape was great in that way at least; he didn't care about the students well being.

Viola swallowed. "I, er, need to tell you something."

"And you decided four in the morning was the best time?" asked Snape.

"I, well, yes," said Viola.

"We will discuss it later," said Snape. He began to shut his door.

"It's about the Chamber of Secretes!" Viola blurted.

Snape stopped. He looked over at her with an eyebrow raised. "Very well. . .Go on."

Viola took a deep breath, then said in a rush, "I think Ginny Weasley is opening the Chamber."

Viola let out air slowly like a deflating ballon as she waited for Snape's reply. At first he just stared at her. Then he spoke.

"I will bring you to the headmaster," he said.

Viola's eyes widened. "You mean you believe me?"

"I believe it is a possibility," said Snape as he shut his door. "Follow me."

Viola trotted excitedly behind Snape's billowing cloak. She honestly hadn't expected a teacher to believe her. Especially with no proof. Professor Lockhart she would have been able to understand, but Snape? It was obvious this teacher was incredibly intelligent.

It was rather awkward going through the halls with Severus Snape and Viola was relieved when they reached a ugly, stone gargoyle and Snape stopped before it. Viola could only assume it was the entrance to Dumbledores office.

"Lemon drop," said Snape like it was some sort of foul curse word he really didn't enjoy using.

The gargoyle sprang to life and hopped aside, revealing a set of stairs. Viola followed Snape. The staircase rose beneath them.

At the top, Snape turned to Viola. "Wait here."

He strode forward and knocked on the door. Viola didn't here a voice call come in, but Snape entered. She tried to hear the discussion going on inside the office, but all she could hear was muffled voices.

A moment later Snape emerged looking irritated. "I'm afraid the Headmaster is unavailable at this moment," he said.

"Why?" asked Viola, sorely disappointed.

"Unimportant. I will keep your theory in mind. Now I'd better bring you down to the great hall."

Viola was forced to endure another long, awkward walk with her teacher.

She tried to cheer herself by reminding herself that Dumbledore would be back and when he was, Snape would tell him Viola's thoughts.

And maybe Dumbledore would believe her.

___________________________

A/N

I thought I'd double update today to celebrate that it's been a month since I first published this story! And to celebrate  42,000 words and almost 950 votes!

Thanks to my readers as always! You guys are great!