Chapter 35

(Sarah's POV)

   Henry and I left at the crack of dawn. We had decided on taking our own horses rather than a carriage. We had stopped once to have lunch. After that it didn't take much longer to reach the outskirts and find Elizabeth's home. We got off our horses and I had Henry hold their reins while I went to knock on the door.

   It was Gertrude who opened it and when she saw me she pulled me into a hug. "We were so worried about you. When we went to help Elizabeth into the house the man who took you was already gone."

   "I'm fine. Emanuel is dead."

   "Well I'm glad you are alright." She looked behind me at Henry. "Who is that fellow?"

   "My fiancé. We came to personally invite you and the rest of your family to our wedding."

   "Oh my. We would love to go, but dear we won't fit in with a bunch of royals, and nobles."

   "Don't worry my father the King has agreed to allow the whole village to attend the weddings and the balls."

   "Oh how wonderful. Here please come in. Jonathan!" She called to her husband who came down the hall. "Please take the Princess's horse as well as her fiancé's."

   "Yes dear." I watched as he went to talk to Henry. After a moment Henry gave the man the horse's reins and came to join me and Gertrude in the hall.

   "I must say dearie you choose a handsome one," Gertrude said.

   I laughed. "I'm glad you approve."

   "Sarah?" I turned to see Elizabeth standing at the top of the stairs. When I turned to face her she ran down the stairs and hugged me. "I thought you were hurt or worse."

   "I'm fine. I was worried about you. When Emanuel pushed you, you hit your head. I wanted to help but he took me away to fast."

   "I can handle a little bump of the head."

   We broke apart and I turned to Henry. "Elizabeth, Gertrude, this is my fiancé, Henry." He shook hands with them and I saw a slight blush creep to Elizabeth's cheek.

    She curtsied. "Your highness."

   Gertrude scoffed. She didn't like to show weakness to royals, but Henry brushed off the formalness. "Please, none of that. I may be a Prince but you kept my Sarah safe at a time of need."

   "Yes we did. We would do it again, it would not matter if she was royal or not. She could have been below us, it still would not have mattered," Gertrude said.

   Henry dipped his head. "And for that I am forever indebted to you. I take it Sarah has already invited you to the wedding and the balls."

   Elizabeth spoke up before her mother could. "A wedding? Oh that would be wonderful!"

   "Yes,"I said. "I would also like to suggest an idea."

   Gertrude looked at me curiously. "Go ahead."

   "Well you see my lady in waiting was helping Emanuel, and she still has not been replaced. I was wondering if Elizabeth would like to fill that spot?"

   "I would love to! Mother?" She turned to look at her mother who I could tell was shocked.

   "Well....we would need to talk to your father."

   "Don't worry Gertrude. I will personally look after her. She would be able to visit you anytime she wishes and you her."

   "I will talk to John on the matter. Now who would like some supper?"