Chapter 6

When I appeared at the top of the stairs, I saw a couple waiting at the entrance. They introduced themselves as the Duke and Duchess of Portugal.

   I stood and introduced myself to all the guests. The last guest was Prince Henry Devereux of France.  When I was informed he was the last one he offered me his arm. He was handsome. As we walked through the halls we talked a bit.

  "What brings you to Scotland?"

  He laughed at the question. "My father wanted me to talk to Lord Hainsworth, about a land deal. When I heard about the ball I had to come."

   "Interesting."

   "Very."

   When we arrived at a ballroom doors and paused to say our goodbyes. I curtsied."It was a pleasure meeting you Prince Henry."

   He bowed and brought my hand to his lips. "The pleasure was all mine Princess Sarah."

   I blushed and watched him fade in to the crowd. I entered the ball room and stopped to admire the flower arrangements, when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and found myself face to face with Prince Henry again.

  He grinned at the shock that must have crossed my face. "I'm sorry, but I forgot to ask if your dance card was filled yet?"

   "No not yet, I've been to busy welcoming guests."

   "Well then," he held out his hand, "May I have this dance."

   I thought for a moment before sliding my hand into his.

   He pulled me out onto the ballroom floor and we started with a waltz and we kept dancing after that. After about our fifth dance I was a little thirsty and he left to get us drinks while I retreated to the hall, where I ran into my father.

   "Sarah, you must dance with more than one person."

   "Father no one has even approached me for a dance."

   "That's because you were already dancing with him," he snapped.

   "I'm sorry father."

   "Good." He turned and walked toward the gallery.

   I stayed in the hall and waited for Henry. When he arrived with our drinks I told him what my father had said. He looked sad. 'Your father is a smart man. He knows I've been trying to keep you to myself," he joked.

   We were interrupted when the Duke of Finland asked for a dance. After we had danced I danced with a few more people and then retreated to the other side of the room. Eventually Prince Henry found me.

   "Trying to hide from us?"

   "No not at all."

   He offered his arm, and I took it. He brought us out to the hall. "Where are we going?"

   He glanced at me. "Someplace for better hiding."

   We hadn't gone very far before we ran right in to my father. He looked shocked, but when he realized who it was he looked almost angry but like he was trying to be a clam respectable King. "Sarah." He said my name in a cold voice and Prince Henry took that as a sign and retreated back the way we came, I was sad to watch him go. When he was out of sight I turned back to my father. "What did I tell you Sarah?"

    "I danced with other people."

   "I know you did, but why are you with him again?"

   "He is a nice man, and.... and I like him."

   "People talk Sarah and if they see you with him they will think things. Any way you can't and mustn't like him."

   I eyed my father suspiciously. "Why can't I?"

   "Because I have set up an arrangments, and engaged you to the Duke of Spain."

   "You did what?" My heart dropped .

   "Sarah don't raise your voice at me!"

   "No you can't. I don't even know him!"

   "Of course you do you danced with him."

   "I mean I don't love him."

   "Not everyone marries through love, Sarah."

   "You and mother did."

    "That was a rare occasion, and we had to fight our parents on it."

    "Then why can't I?" I was near tears. This wasn't right.

   "The arrangements have been made."

   "Well unarranged them."

   "I'm not going to do that Sarah."

   "What if mother were here and asked you to? Then you would. You would do any thing for her."

   My father clenched his fists at his side. "Your mother isn't here."

   "I wish she was here instead of you!" Before the words had fully left my mouth he had his hand raised and smacked me across the face.

  As I held my hand against my cheek as he leaned closer. "You are not to talk to me like that again. I am your father, and the King. You obey me and don't talk back."

   "Well don't worry about it your majesty. It wont happen again." I spoke through the pain, and dropped my hand to my side which wasn't the best idea because my tone earned me another smack. Only this time when the tears fell from my eyes my father snapped out of his trance. He looked at the red mark on my cheek and then at his hand.

   He had never hit any of us. Mother wouldn't allow it. He was remembering this and looked pained. "Sarah I-"

   I didn't stay to her the rest, but instead took off running down the hall. I didn't plan on going anywhere particular but my feet brought me to my mother's library. When I ran through the doors I tripped on my gown and fell. I didn't bother getting up. Why should I? I was worthless. I didn't deserve to be a Princess.

   I stayed on the ground and cried I didn't here him enter, and I didn't know how much time had passed before Prince Henry lifted me in his arms and carried me to the sofa where he sat down and held me in his lap. We sat like that for a while. He stroked my hair while I cried into his chest.

   After a while I stopped crying and looked up at him. "How did you know I was here?" I asked.

   "I never left and watched you and your father and then followed you here after you ran."

   I tried to smile. "Thank you." Absently I touched my cheek and flinched in pain. "He hit me. He hasn't hit me before. Mother...mother didn't like violence and made sure he never hit any of us."

   "He looked mad, and like he had a few drinks."

   "I made him mad, but he cant just marry me off, and certainly not to someone I don't love and barely know."

   "I'm sorry Sarah."

   "You had nothing to do with it."

   "No I didn't but he should at least give you a chance to find someone else."

   "I guess."

   We sat there like that for awhile and then I realized I was still in his lap. I stood up fast and blushed. He also stood. I looked down at me feet. "I should go. I need to check on my sisters." I turned around fast. I lost my balance and started to fall, but then his arms were around my waist, and we were staring into each other's eyes.

   He leaned down and our lips met.