Chapter 19

My father was shocked when Henry and I entered his office. He had cuts from where Henry had gotten a couple of hits. When we entered he stood up. "What is the meaning of this?"

   Henry took a couple of deep breaths and looked at me for encouragement before turning back to my father. "I would like to court your daughter," he said nervously.

   My father suddenly started laughing. When he finally got a handle on his laughter he looked at us. I took Henry's hand and moved closer to him. "You find the means to ask me now? After all the sneaking around you have done. You ask to court my daughter now?"

   Henry gave a nod. "Yes Sir."

   "You would give up all the sneaking to be chaperoned? Well you have more guts than I thought. She is still engaged."

   "I know Sir."

   "You can court her. You must be chaperoned but for all I know it could be worthless you may have all ready taken her honor and virtue." I flinched at his words but he didn't see. "Before leaving this house with her you must ask me."

   Henry bowed. "Yes Sir."

   "Now that we are understood you may leave."

   Henry and I left my father's office and went down the hall. Once we were far enough away from it I threw my arms around his neck and kissed him. "It worked," I said.

   He smiled down at me. "It did."

   I laughed as I recalled Henry's face. "You were so scared."

   "I was not." He cupped my cheek and bent to kiss me but I flinched at the pain from the cut. From all the events that have took place I had forgotten about it. Henry noticed my movement and  looked confused for a moment before it dawned on him. He moved his hand. "I'm sorry."

   "You forgot that's all. I did to." I heard a clock down the hall chime. "Would you like to stay for supper?" I asked.

   "I would love to."

   We headed to the dinning hall. Lady Weller and my sisters were already there. I took my seat at the head of the table and waited for my father. When he arrived I ordered that the food be brought out. The conversation was not about today's events thankfully. When Lady Weller changed the subject she did change it to the dance between Henry and I. She gave us complements as well as my sisters.

   My father shocked us all. "You were wonderful to watch Sarah. Where did you learn to move so swiftly? Your movements reminded me of someone else's."

   I looked down sheepishly. "Mother. She taught me."

   I heard my father choke on his food. I looked up at him, and saw something flash in his eyes. "Yes. She was a beautiful dancer."

   I smiled. My father rarely complimented us. The only thing was my smile opened my cut. I felt something run down my face. No one noticed that I pressed a linen to my cheek and when I pulled it away it was stained with blood. I stood up. "Please excuse me." I swiftly left the room making sure my cheek was turned away  from everyone. Once in the hall I headed to the nearest water closet. I tried not to look in the mirror as I wetted a cloth and tried to press it to my cheek.

   I heard the door open and turned to see Elizabeth. She came to stand in front of me and moved my hand so she could see my cut. "How did you find me?" I asked.

   "Henry and I followed you. He would have come in if well you know it wasn't a ladies water closet," She answered.

   I rolled my eyes. I had a feeling that had she not been with him he would not have had a problem with entering a lady's water closet.

   "You have to be carful Sarah. The cut can't keep opening, the scar will be worse if it does."

   "I can try. Did the bleeding stop?"

   "Yes it did." She must have caught on to me trying to avoid looking in the mirror because she stood between it and me as we left. She had been right Henry stood beside the door as we walked it to the hall.

   He looked concerned. "Are you alright?"

   I feared the cut would open again if I smiled so instead I looked at my feet. "Yes," I said.

 Elizabeth spoke beside me. "We should get back to supper."

   Henry and I agreed and we walked down the hall. When we walked in to the dinning hall nothing had changed. Everyone was eating and talking. When I sat down my father asked me if everything was alright. "Yes. Everything is fine." I flinched at the movement.

   Henry was the only one that seemed to noticed it and squeezed my hand under the table. When everyone had finished supper we all split up I went to tuck my sisters in with Henry behind me. He stayed outside as I said good night to them all. When I left their room Henry and I stood in the hall.

   I leaned against him as I stared over the banister. "Can you stay with me tonight?" I asked.

   "Of course."

   We made sure no one was around as we walked down the hall to my chambers. When my ladies arrived I made Henry hide on my balcony.

   My ladies helped my out of my dress. They didn't say anything about my cheek or about the mirrors being covered. They did ask about Henry how ever.

   "Is your father going to let you marry him now?" Susan asked.

   "No, but Henry is courting me."

   "Really?"

   "Yes. My father has engaged me to another man."

   Ann gasped. "He just will not let you marry a man of your choice will he?"

   I sighed. "I'm afraid not."

   April came up with a thought and shared it with us. "Maybe by letting Henry court you your Father has started to come around."

   "Maybe. I doubt it though. My father and Henry got in a fight today."

   Ann seemed almost excited. "Who won?"

   I gave a small smile. "Henry." I remembered that Henry was out on the balcony and dismissed my ladies.

   I opened the balcony doors. "Henry," I whispered. I jumped when he suddenly appeared in front of me. He picked me up and carried me through the door like I was a bride. He set me on the bed. "My lady."

   I giggled and sat up. I was tired and pulled Henry on the bed next to me after he had kicked his shoes off. He gave me a kiss careful not hurt my cheek. Then I blew out the candle and Henry threw his arms around me. I snuggled closer to him.

   I soon fell asleep, but then the nightmares came.