Prologue: Wishful Thinking

This is my first book and I want to thank @MommaShifter  for helping me out...If you like werewolves and haven't read her books yet, you should check them out!!

A/N: PLEASE READ BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT: This is a revised and almost completely different that my first publishing of the story. In this story Ariana is no longer a werewolf, she is completely HUMAN. Sorry about the change I just think this looks better. Same characters, new plot.

__________________________

~Prologue: Wishful Thinking

Everyone has had a moment in life where it all changed, for better or worse. For me this occasion was the birth of my sister, Emily. I remember the day vividly. June 2nd, exactly two months after my 12th birthday. It was late at night, around 11:40, when my elder brother shook me awake.

"Ariana, wake up!" He shouted. I felt his hands grip my bare shoulders as he shook me.

"Whaa?" I managed to sleepily whisper.

"It's mom, the baby's coming!"

I immediately jolted up and out of my bed. I threw the think pink duvet from my waist and slid my bare feet into my white flip-flops. I had been waiting for this moment ever since Mom announced she was pregnant.

"Jake, let's go!" I squealed.

He enveloped my hand in his and pulled me along to the front door where a duffle bag sat. I knew all too well that this was the bag Daddy prepared for Mom. We had drill after drill of what to do. Daddy helped Mom down the staircase and Jake grabbed hold of the duffle bag, still squeezing my hand.

Mom slid into the passenger seat and and began to breathe heavily. Daddy got in the drivers seat as Jake and I slid into the back. Daddy didn't ask if we were buckled or give any warning before he sped off. My face was thrown toward the back of Mom's seat and my skin collided with the cream cloth. Daddy threw an apology my way as I leaned back into my seat.

I watched Mom take rigid breaths, a mask of pain etched onto her face. Jake wrapped his slender fingers around my arm and pulled my body to the middle seat. He fastened my seat belt as I leaned my body into his and rested my eyes.

The car came to an abrupt stop outside of the hospital. Jake and I quickly jumped out of the midnight blue car. I placed the bag on my arm and Daddy helped Mom to stand. Jake ran ahead and asked the lady at the desk for a wheelchair.

I regretted not wearing a jacket. I felt too exposed in my spaghetti strapped purple tank top and black shorts. Jake helped Mom into the wheelchair. The doctor quickly tended to Mom and I awkwardly stood off to the side. Jake was only 15 at the time.

Daddy had come in and sat by Mom while she groaned through contractions. She called us over.

"Jake I want you to take Ariana into the waiting room and sit. Don't come back in until your Dad comes for you, ok?" Jake nodded.

"Ari, baby, I love you. I love you both, and I'll love your new baby sister just as much. Now go." She shooed us away.

"Love you too" Jake and I whispered back.

We sat in the waiting room sprawled out across the hard, plastic chairs for hours. I had fallen asleep around 1 am. I was woken by the sound of my Daddy calling my name. Jake and I both stood and waited for instruction. He held onto my hand and placed his other hand onto Jake's shoulder before leading us back to Mom's room. He kept a solemn look.

I looked to the clock, 5:05 am. My sister had been born at 4: 59 am, June 3rd. My mother died at 5:32. She named my sister Emily, she told us to take good care of her. She asked Jake to watch over Emily and I. She asked me to watch over Daddy and Emily.She asked Daddy to stay strong and keep us safe. I have never cried so much in my entire life.

The day my sister was brought into the world, my mother was taken out of it.

That was the day it all started. My father's drinking, his yelling, his hitting. He took it out on us. He blamed Emily entirely, saying it was all her fault. Though it's been 5 years since Mom passed, he still torments us daily.

He'll spend the entire day drinking at home or at some bar, coming home at odd hours. We dread the days of summer when we are forced to stay inside so we take every chance to escape. An hour at the library, a moment at the park, a stolen second in the backyard.

But we can never escape his wrath for long, he always find us. He'll verbally assault Emily first. She's only five, yet I cradle her in my arms when he yells and tell her he's wrong. He physically assaults Jake and I. He'll go after Emily, try to attack her, and I'll step in, being the heroic 16 year old sister. He'll hit me, then Jake steps in. Though he's 19 already, he chose to stay to protect us.

It's a cycle that occurs too often. I've become too accustomed to covering up bruises and scratches with concealer. Too used to lying to the neighbor and saying Dad wasn't yelling. Too used to telling Emily to keep quiet about what happens at home.

Jake always tells me "One day we'll get away. Go some place far away where he can't get us. I'll make sure of it, just wait."

But I know its just wishful thinking.

_____________________

ok, this is my first book and I appreciate any tips. Please let me know if it can be any better. Anyways I would like to thank MommaShifter again for helping me out. Her books are awesome and she's really nice!

Have a comment you really want me to see? A question perhaps? Constructive criticism? A few nice words? Put it here and I'll make it my top priority to read it and answer.

So please

Vote!

Comment!

Share!

Follow!