Chapter 2

One more day. Was the thought I had as I woke up...one more day, huh?
2043 to be 2044.

I wondered how the 14th would be like, snobby? spoiled? lazy?
Well, it would just be another year wouldn't it?

Beside me, Akane's sleeping form was huddled under the covers which she was pulled away from me overnight. No wonder it had been so cold.
I blinked as I stared up at the wall, sighing as I decided to sit up.
The all too familiar creak of the wood under the bed reminded me of how relieved I would be to leave everything behind after today.
With that in mind I stood; making my way to the washroom.

I've never considered myself to be "good looking", but in a world where heart mattered and looks didn't- I had never much cared. Though then I suppose my heart would still make me ugly... I frowned.
Looking into my reflection in the mirror I could see how much of a new look I was needing. My long, messy unkept hair was a pain to deal with..
I suppose it was time to go see Marrin anyways. Marrin was my age, except that she chose not to go looking for love at all. She accepted the world of blindness, unlike me and was content with how she was. So Al and I respected her choice.

"Kanade?" Akane's voice pulled me out of the bathroom, she was now sitting up in bed and rubbing her eyes.
"Yes what is it?" I softly asked, my mask naturally sliding into my facade like the last missing piece to complete a puzzle.
"Where are you going? I'm hungry y'know.." She yawned, grabbing the book beside our bed.
I blinked as she all too casually began to read, as if it weren't first thing in the morning.
"I'm going to work, early shift today." I explained, retrieving my clothes from the closet. "It's New Years tomorrow so we're getting out early tonight and going in earlier."
"Mhm okay, but can you go get us some breakfast first?"
Pausing as I turned to face her, I let my jacket slide down my back.
"Get it..? From where?"
I guess Marrin would have to wait.
"That new cafe in town supposedly has the best pancakes and waffles, I'd like some if you don't mind."
I frowned at her words.
Pancakes and Waffles... I'd always hated breakfast food, especially the overly sweet, soft taste they had... Besides bacon of course, I loved bacon.
"O-of course, I'll be back soon then.."
"Mhm." She replied, still never looking up from the pages.

I let out a scowl as I left the bedroom, looking at the kitchen I could see the dishes from last nights dinner weren't washed.
"Make sure to do the dishes today Akane~!" I called, slipping my shoes on.
"Mhm.." Came a quiet response from the room.
And I slammed the door as I left.

When we had first started dating, she was a lot more focused on the relationship. Perhaps it was the excitement of finding your soulmate or maybe gaining the benefit of color.. But that soon wore off. Though the usual dating sequence in our society took around 2 weeks at most, we took 3. Then we got married. Just like that.
Even back then she could never stop talking about which book she was reading at the moment. Or telling me about the new story she was going to write, it was tiring..
But still- she used to talk to me.

"This year was boring." I mumbled, pushing myself out of the car and up to the cafe door.
As I pulled the door open, a girl bumped into me, yelping as she stepped back.
"S-sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going..." She fumbled with her words.
A short brunette stood before me, her height barely coming up to my chin. I could see she was still a student, for she wore a school uniform.
"Oh, It's alright, are you okay?" I asked, flashing her a polite smile.
"Y-yeah, uhm sorry for bumping into you.."
I shook my head, grinning lightly as I stepped back to let her pass.
"I assure you it's alright, be careful."

"Akane?" I called out as I took my shoes off, locking the door behind me.
I walked into the kitchen, where she was reading. And I must've still smelled of the sickly sweet scent of syrup and pastries, for when I approached her she crinkled her nose.

"Have a good breakfast." I smiled softly, running my hand through her hair as she turned slightly to face me.
Wrapping my arms around her waist, I set the food on the table, eyeing the golden syrup which drooled slowly down the waffles.
"Mm, I will." She muttered, her eyes hungrily sweeping over her meal as she flipped another page.
I sighed, boring till the end. Though the sick feeling in my stomach growled at me as I glanced once more at the food before her lips.
"Have a good day, I love you." I smiled sadly, waving at her one last time as I stepped out the door...
And that was the end of the 13th.
-
New Years, one word to describe it would be; beautiful.
"I bet it'd be prettier with color, huh?"
Now with my new look, a new name, a new life. I sat with Marrin and Al, at the park bench we always went to. Al's wife, Jaime was here, the only other person outside our trio who knew what we did- or in Al's case: used to do.
"Yes, it really is spectacular. I'm sure you'll come to enjoy it yourself some day." She chimed, placing a caring hand on my shoulder.
Al and Jaime had been together for 4 years now. They were now 22 and though only few years older they treated me as if I were their child.
"Anyways... Nami was it?" Marrin bumped my shoulder with a smirk. "Nice four eyes you've got there."
I'd always needed glasses, but it was this year that Al finally convinced me to get some. Saying it brought my eyes out more or some rubbish like that.
"Oh shut up, anyways why'd you cut my hair so short anyways?"
My used to be waist long hair was now cut up to my shoulders and now was a light brown ombre at the bottom.
Marrin was who we always went to for a new look, she knew me and Al since kindergarten and she was now considered a well known designer.
"You were the one complaining about how long it was, besides.. I think it suits you more." She jokingly sized me up, giving me a wide smile as she smacked me on the back.
"I'm liking the new look, especially those piercings." Al chuckled, standing beside Jaime in front of me.
I smiled, Al always knew what to point out.
"Yeah, neat aren't they?" I smirked as I pushed my hair behind my ears, revealing the silver tinted piercings hanging from my ears.

Yes. New Years was always such a blast, but as we continued to talk and drink a different thought was in my mind.
The 14th huh, I wonder what they'd be like.

"So.." Marrin's hand clamped down on my shoulder. "How'd you get rid of that spoiled bookworm anyways?"
I chugged the remaining contents of my beer, coughing disgracefully as I did so.
"Mm.. Well let's just say too much consumption of chemicals? I heard syrup tasted bad but I didn't know it was poisonous."
"Food poisoning?" Jaime pursed her lips, she never liked the idea of getting rid of our partners but she was trying to adapt to it, which I appreciated.
"Good Riddance, I never liked her anyways. She was always so rude to you.. And us y'know?" Al scowled, downing a bottle of beer in one go.
I nodded, she was never the one to kindly address anyone other than herself. Perhaps it was a good riddance..

A new year, 2034 then, now 2044.
All I needed to do now was await the 14th..