Chapter 1

And who am I within this loving, colorful world?
My name is Kanade, currently Kanade Akamine - previously Grace Wakaba. Funny isn't it? How the name of a person can entirely change their entire being.
I used to be afraid every time I had to switch identities, but nowadays I've found the process to be like a daily business.
"In this life I'll be a.. Therapist."
Reciting the first few words, the next job I'd choose for my next life was by random, generated by the computer screen before me. The words flashed brightly, as if saying I'd just won the jackpot in a television game show.. not that those even existed anymore.
My fingers easily went through the sequences of forging my next ID, social security, work permit, birth certificate, ect.
"A new life, a new name... Hmm.."
I tapped my fingers on the table, this was always the hardest part for me. A new name, why was it so hard for me? I would probably never know.
"...Nami.. Nami Shimada."
I let the words play on my tongue, it had a nice sound to it. It flowed easily which was unusual, normally it'd take at least a few days until I'd be used to a new name.
The alarm rang, making me jump.
Time was up, my pay at the local computer cafe was already through.
Well whatever, I was done anyways. I hummed as I cleaned up my area, shoving my phone into my jackets inner pocket and sealing my hard-drive in the deepest part of my bag.
Time is short, it doesn't wait for anyone and it goes by quicker than anything. I laughed at those who said nothing is faster than the speed of light, time would win in any race. It's the oldest thing there is, and yet the newest, because time never ages.
I've said that ever since I was able to think for myself, that if I could have one super power it would be to control time.
"Aren't you getting sick of this yet?"
The familiar voice of my only friend, and my partner in 'crime' greeted me by the counter.
"What do you mean?" I smiled, resting my arm on the counter as he handed me a coke. "Honestly A, you're not even one to talk."
A, my childhood friend who's known me since I was born. He's a year older and like a brother to me, we lived in the same apartment complex and our parents were close friends. His real name is Alex but he prefers A or Al, the only person who's able to get away with saying his name would be: myself, his wife Jaime and our friend Marrin.
"Oh quit it, I stopped ever since I got together with Jaime."
"And I still don't know why.. don't get me wrong Jaime is wonderful but.. you're actually aging now."
It was true, unlike the pact we had agreed upon, he was aging for real now.
We had started together, promising ourselves we would be immortal forever, but he had fallen in love. And I had let him because I knew his happiness was more important than a mere childhood promise.
Even if it was with you? My mind had asked, and by then I already knew my answer would be yes.
"I don't regret it y'know, and I think if you fell in love you wouldn't either. Maybe you'll know soon enough." He grinned.
Or maybe I won't. I told myself, chugging the fizzy remaining contents of the bottle and picking up my bag.
"Yeah, yeah, but if I did that would mean I would die."
He nodded, respecting my decisions, and placed a hand on my shoulder before I stood to leave.
"Stay safe out there."
"Right back at you."
I grinned at him before I left, closing the door behind me.
I used to once think that maybe he was right, that somehow I'd be able to go down the same path as he had. However, falling in love was a trifling thought for me... someone who had rejected love for more than 13 times was surely to fail even if they'd tried a thousand times, no?
With that thought still in mind I walked home, to where she awaited me.
In love- gender didn't matter. So I had never given it a second thought, but some old generation people called it a curse- for same genders could not reproduce.
Apparently they were too full of themselves to see to it that scientists were claiming that they had found a similar way to create male sperm through the marrow in our bones.
So putting that aside, to my wife I went home every day for the past year.
The lights were off as usual, I could see that as I turned the usual corner on the street. Taking out my keys I opened the door, welcoming the warm feeling into my body. It was time for my usual caring lover side to switch on, as if I were some programmed robot. It was almost too natural for me, so normal it even scared me.
"I'm home~" I called, but she was as always, in the bedroom reading while she waited for me to come home. I frowned slightly, standing at the doorway.
This was the thing about this world, people only loved for the benefit of a relationship. Color, and for living the ideal life of a soulmate.
Akane Akamine, a closet author and my 13th partner. I glared at the bedroom door as I set my shoes down and walked to the room.
In this life I was a doctor, so our income came entirely from my side- and don't get me wrong, you can't forge work, not even me. I learned the necessities of being a doctor for the past year fervently and actually learned how to handle most surgeries in the field. But this isn't the time to explain my profession...
Akane came from a wealthy family who spoiled her to the point of being up-stuck. On the first date I had spent about a thousand dollars on her alone and even then it was pale in comparison to how much I spent when I first introduced myself to her parents. She was a slob, failing to perform even the smallest jobs of a housewife... until I taught her how washing the dishes and doing the laundry worked.
As usual, dinner was unprepared and I was to make it. It was like an obligation to her, an expectation I had to perform... which is why I enjoyed this year as thoroughly as I did. Since it meant her riddance would not be one full of guilt.
"Welcome back." She mumbled, not pausing to look up from her book. Walking into the room, her lame attitude made me feel unwelcome, as if this weren't my house. I faked a smile and wrapped my arms around her as she continued to read. With a sigh I closed my eyes, trying to think of something other than the sound of her heartbeat pressed against my ears. A single thought resonating in my mind;
Two more days until New Years, a new life, a new name.