Chapter 8: New Friends

We spent the night in the hotel, recovering from jet-lag and eating weird English pizza that still tasted pretty good. We'd have a lot of stuff to do these next few days so taking one night off before it started was a must, we'd agreed. Mark tried to show me Doctor Who, but after two episodes I changed it to a rerun of Downton Abbey. Overall, it was a pretty chill and relaxing night.

I messaged Sophie the next morning asking her where she wanted to meet up. There was a small cafe in the next town over she knew, so she gave me directions and we were on our way. She'd be coming with her mom and little brother, who were also Mark fans, and we said it was okay. They probably just want to make sure we aren't creepers or anything.

We got there a little after eleven, but there was no sign of the family at any of the outside tables. They weren't inside either.

"Maybe they're just a little late," Mark reassured me.

"Or maybe I've been talking to some 40-year old pedophile for the past two years!" Thankfully, that wasn't the case. A minute later, a small teenager accompanied by a younger boy and a woman who seemed to be their mother walked through the doors. The teenage girl's eyes went wide and she started crying at the sight of us. "Sophie!" I waved them all over and stood up to greet them properly.

(Play the music now!)

"Hey! Lexi! And Mark! Together!" She flailed around like the fangirl I know she is and skipped over to us.

"I'm so happy you aren't a pedo," I sighed, taking my friend in a big hug.

"Right back at-cha," she laughed. "These two weeks have dragged on so long! It's like the two weeks before Christmas!"

 "I know right? I've been looking forward to this for so long! Come on, sit with us." I led my friend and her family to the table we had occupied and Mark stood from his own seat. "Sophie, I want you to meet Mark. Mark, this is Sophie."

"It's great to meet you! I've heard a lot about you." He brought Sohpie in for a hug, her face red with blush.

"Hi," she said quickly and in a high-pitched fangirling voice. "Great to meet you too!" Mark pulled away laughing and replied in a similar voice.

"Don't be nervous! I'm just like you!" In one movement, he squat down a little, raised his hands, and did Jazz hands while doing a small fangirl scream. "See!" Sophie giggled, a little more comfortable around her idol.

"Do I really sound like that? Oh god!" She laughed some more before we all sat down in our seats. Mark stayed standing though.

"I'll get us all drinks. What would you like?"

"Oh you don't have to do that," Sophie's mother spoke. "You're a visitor here, after all. I can buy the drinks."

"That's very kind of you ma'am, but I insist. What would you guys like?"

"If you insist, I won't argue. A cola please."

"Diet coke, please," her little brother said.

"Fanta," Sophie smiled.

"Just a water for me, hun." My stomach had been a little upset the past few days, so I wasn't up to anything super sweet.

"All right. I'll be right back." He left to get in the short line and I turned back to Sophie and her family to make conversation.

"This is a really cute place. Do you guys come here all the time?"

"Yeah, we come here all the time. They make REALLY good steak pie!"

"Oh really? I bet Mark would like that," I giggled. "I have to say though, I was actually worried you'd turn out to be a creep! I'm so thankful you aren't."