Chapter 21

The day had started off as any other day he had. The only addition was Hammond popping in to check on Evie before he had headed down to break his fast as the rest of the Keep woke up, and heading to check on all his clansmen. Amhuinn had been what Hammond assumed was fast asleep as he had woke up, as she had been every day ever since the day she had walked away and clammed up from him. He had hoped that after Evie's birth the day before, she would warm up, a little, but it had been just as chilly that night. Nevertheless, Hammond had dressed and gone about his day.

He had let Connor have the rest of the week to tend to his wife and his new son whom he had christened Caederyn. The young boy was quickly winning the hearts of many within his clan, and even young Adair was completely smitten with the boy. Between doing his chores, Adair had proudly shown off his cousin to his bunch of motley friends. Hammond had been surprised at how close Adair was with Malcolm, Ewan and Darach. The four of them were as thick as thieves, and it was obvious that the other three older boys watched out for the four-turning-five year old, who was eager to prove himself as hardy, worthy and warrior-like. He knew Darach was merely a farmer's son, unlike Ewan and Malcolm whose fathers were part of his men, but all three had the makings of fine warriors.

As the sun had set for the day, he gave in to a small smile of amusement from where he stood observing how Adair was sparring with the wooden sword Tamhas had fashioned for them. They pretended to be might warriors, using long branches as their make-believe steeds.

"Would ye be teachin' us how ter fight and spar when we get older, Laird?" he heard Malcolm ask. Malcolm's father, Grant, had perished in an earlier skirmish, and both he and his mother stayed at the Keep so they were cared for, especially since Elspeth helped in the Keep's kitchen. 

He raised a brow, and wandered closer to the boys. "Do ye want ter?"

"Yes!" the four of them chorused, making Hammond laugh. He turned to Adair, raising a brow and smiling at the rosy cheeks and exhilarated look. "And ye, young Adair? Do ye enjoy being here?"

He flushed, but nodded, his blond hair flopping. "I dinna know what tis like ter be a boy afore this, laird. But... I dinna want ter leave me friends."

Hammond knew Amhuinn would be overjoyed to hear this. He too, felt himself completely at ease to see the young boy now. He had been forced to mature beyond his age, so watching as Adair relived a childhood he had been cheated four-years of was a relief. He now wore the flushed cheeks, scraped knees and breathless look that children his age should have.

"Then train ye, I will. All of ye. I think ye all would make fine warriors. But fine warriors need their food. Is it nae time ye all go and wash up?" he reminded.

They squealed in delight, and hurriedly ran off towards the outhouse in the back. All of them, except for Adair. Much to Hammond's surprise, he had slowed down, and stopped his paces, turning back to look at the rusty haired laird with a question unvoiced in his blue eyes, a pair of eyes he no doubt got from his mother. Hammond cocked his head, and bent down again. "What is it, lad?"

"Ye... Yer married ter my mither, right?" he asked, hesitance obvious in his voice. Hammond raised a brow, but nodded. "Do ye... Do ye think I could call ye Father? I... I dinna think my father liked me calling him that. He always locked me away when he had his lady friends. Do ye have any lady friends?"

For a brief moment, Hammond could almost see the fear that flashed in Adair's eyes. He quickly shook his head, and clarified, "I have nae wish fer any other lady friend. Yer mother... is very dear ter me, lad. As are ye."

"So I may call ye father?" he asked again, seemingly excited.

In that moment, Hammond knew he had been an idiot. How could he deny a love that flowed deeper then a river in his heart for the mother and son? Right in that instance, on that twilight day, as Adair looked at him with caution, hesitant, but that eager need for affirmation and affection that every child wanted, Hammond knew he loved Amhuinn, but more then that, he knew he couldn't go on denying it, to her and to himself.