Chapter 20

It's always easy to procrastinate. For one to put off something they wanted to do. But Hammond MacKenzie had never procrastinated. Putting something off meant he would put the livelihood of his clan, his sister, his brother-in-arms and best friends in danger. He was always first out of the Keep and last to take his seat at a meal. He would put everyone's needs  before his own. So Hammond never expected he would ever find one thing he would put on hold. He was fearless, known as one of the most brave warriors around the Highlands. Some argued that he was foolhardy, but Hammond merely responded that he did what was necessary for the survival of his clan, and the safety of his family.

So imagine, a fearless warrior fearful of a slip of his wife.

He had weeks to go up to her. But every night, she would be asleep, or occasionally pretend to be when he went to bed. She would turn her back, with her shift buttoned to her neck. The night after she had stalked off, Hammond had tried his best to entice her back to his side. For just that one night, the passion had been explosive, as he explored her as one would plunder the high seas. 

But after that, Amhuinn was as frigid as the worst winter in the Highlands. But what hurt the most, was that the frigidity only extended to him. As he trained with his men in the fields, he saw her walking across the courtyard sharing a laugh with Gillian. Occasionally, when Adair ran in to ask the men questions with his friends, he could see her standing and observing her son from a far corner. But her eyes were always trained on the blond miniature of her, and never once had Amhuinn met his eyes from then on. He watched as she played with him, and a part of him felt relief that they were now warming up to each other, as Adair began to carve out his own home in the Keep. Her brother too, grew to made friends with everyone.

How was it that Hammond was the one who had insisted to bring them in, but now the siblings and Adair were more at home with everyone else but him?

"Ye look like someone spat in yer bowl. What's the matter?" 

A familiar voice made Hammond turn, and he grinned when he saw he dark features of his best friend.

"Yer back early. What brings yer here? And is Evie alright?" he immediately asked, as they exchanged a hug.

Connor leaned against his haunches as he nodded. "O'course. But we shortened the trip cause yer cousin was anxious being away from Ammi." Connor paused, and raised a brow when he saw Hammond's features flinch. "What happened? Married life dinna agree with ye already?"

"Not so much that, as much as I dinna... understand it." Hammond grounded out, letting his claymore lean against the side of the barn where he had been practicing alone after sending the men back in for their evening wash before dinner.

"What happened?" Connor chuckled. "Ne'er try ter understand the women. Just placate them."

Hammond snorted and looked at Connor skeptically. "Is that yer secret ter a happy marriage?"

The dark haired first-in-command laughed. "Somewhat. But Evie's an easy wife ter keep happy. As long as I... Wait." he paused, and then looked at Hammond carefully. "Do ye love yer wife?"

"Love is-"

"Dinna give me that rubbish aboot love making one weak. Do ye or do ye nae love Ammi?" Connor insisted.

Hammond found his throat dry, instead of coming up with an answer. How could he answer that? Watching her laugh brought him joy, and he capability warmed him from inside out. Her obvious care for not only her son, but everyone around her was something Hammond rarely saw from anyone else. He... loved her, that much he could admit to himself. But how could he admit it to anyone else?