Chapter 16

It was an odd feeling, for a warrior like him so used to going either with other of his kin or by himself, to be following a slip of a girl as they quietly crept through the hallways of Kincaid Castle. Aided only by the light of the full moon that shone outside the window, they had carefully slipped in the backdoor, and then proceeded to follow Amhuinn's lead up a stairwell, and down two hallways before she led them to what appeared to Hammond to be a servant's staircase. He knew a few of his men wondered if he was insane, that he was trusting and helping this new girl they've barely known for more then a month. Yet he knew in his heart of hearts that Amhuinn meant no harm, for if she did, she would not have bothered helping so many of his kin, nor would she seem so earnest to regain Adair back in their care.

"Is this the hallway the lad is in, lass?" Connor hissed from his right. Amhuinn paused her steps, her gaze swiveling around as if assessing.

"It should be, from what Tristan showed me earlier." her response came, as they crept closer to her.  With two men left to guard the entrance, and two more to guard the hallway downstairs, they were now left with a handful of them following. Amhuinn was amazed at the swift silence they managed to move despite each warrior carrying their own weapon and having their heavy leather armor on. "That room."

Hammond had expected to see guards heavily around the door, yet when he looked in the direction Amhuinn pointed, he only saw a heavy oak wrought door, which was reinforced with a golden lock. "He doesna guard the boy?"

"He probably thinks the boy doesna have the courage to leave. Nae matter, tis a good thing fer us." Connor muttered, as he ran up to the door. Just as Hammond and the rest of the men following came after Connor, the first-in-command swung his heavy claymore down, effectively breaking the lock with a crash, and causing the door to swing open.

"Connor! Why did ye do that! The whole castle would've heard that!" Hammond immediately hissed, when the sound reverberated around the building.

"I saw that." Connor responded matter-of-factly. When he pointed out the window, it was clear why the dark-haired fighter had compromised their silence for a swift opening. Two dozen men came running up the pathway towards the castle. Already, the two men they had left at the doorway were engaging in battle with the oncoming Kincaid soldiers. While they did not number many, two dozen against two was still a formidable number.

"Tristan, bring the rest of them down to give assistance. Prevent the Kincaids from coming up as much as possible!" Hammond spurred into action immediately. As Tristan did as his laird commanded, Hammond grabbed Amhuinn by her arm and pushed her in the room. "Go and get Adair. We'll wait."

"And be quick aboot it." Connor added.

Amhuinn's heart had started racing the moment she had spotted the Kincaid soldiers. She recognized the plaid colors, for she had spent the first two years of her escape avoiding them. The sight of them made her palms sweat and her throat get clogged up. Her fingers had gripped themselves into fists when Hammond grabbed her and pushed her in. The moment the doors closed behind them however, she felt the silence fall, and then it was as if she was in a vacuum when her eyes fell on wide-eyed Adair sitting cross-legged on his huge bed.

"A-Adair?" Amhuinn asked, a tentative tone she cringed at. He did not reply, appearing to look at her carefully. Somehow though, the wary and distrustful look no longer lingered in his eyes, and instead the four-year old merely looked at her curiously. Taking that as a  good sign, she approached him as one would approach a skittish creature, a wary smile on her lips. "Do ye like it here? I... I've been worried, tis all."

"Why?" he finally asked, in a tiny voice.

"I'm yer mither, of course I'll be worried, lad." Amhuinn replied with a soft smile. "If tis yer want ter continue staying here, ye can.  But... Yer all alone here, are ye not?"