Chapter 14

The loud slam of a door jolted Hammond out of his deep sleep. The small frame of the chair he had fell asleep on proved too small to hold the size of the Laird, and Hammond had to pick himself off the floor as he fell off, wincing as he tried to regain his bleary senses. One look at the windows showed that the sun had rose not too long ago, and it took another second before he remembered that he had spent the night with Amhuinn tending to her sick son. Getting off his knees to straighten up, it didn't take long for the rusty haired laird to realize the source of the noise which had shocked him, and the empty bed.

Wasting no time, Hammond dashed out, just in time to see Amhuinn ducking out of another room. She would've dashed past him and down the stairs had Hammond not reached out to grab her by the arm. Her blue eyes looked wild with worry, a sight that clenched Hammond's chest for it made Amhuinn look five times more vulnerable then she already did.

"Adair's is nae anywhere within the Keep, Hammond." It was obvious Amhuinn was trying and failing to keep the panic in her tone in check.

"What do ye mean?" he tried to clarify.

"I woke up this morn and saw his bed empty. I've checked the whole corridor, and even asked Griselda. He is nae aroond!" With each syllable, her panic rose in notches until Hammond could not help but to grip her by both her shoulders to steady her.

"Look at me, Ammi. Look." Hammond repeated. Amhuinn began wringing her hands together and biting her lip, but did as he asked. "We'll find him, okay. He probably just needed something and wandered of. But nae worry, e'en if I have to ride for days, I'll find yer son back for ye."

"Nae need." A voice interupted. Two pairs of eyes turned to greet Connor as he ran up the stairs, with Tamhas following in his wake. Both warriors wore a grim look, and Connor held a wrinkled piece of paper which he handed to Hammond the moment they drew near.

Hammond reluctantly released Amhuinn as she went to her brother's embrace. Focusing instead on the missive Connor had passed to him, his anger grew with each word he read in the messy scrawl. "Connor, I apologize fer taking up yer time when I know yer supposed ter be preparing fer yer trip to England with yer lassie in a couple of day's time but-"

"I'll get the men rounded up, Hammond." his first-in-command interjected, looking over at Tamhas. "Come along, Tamhas. Yer coming with us."

"Dinna fash Ammi, all will be well. Connor and Hammond will make sure of it, and so will I, I promise." Tamhas stroked Amhuinn's blonde head once, before hurrying after Connor, as Amhuinn turned her confused and anguished eyes at Hammond. "What happened? What was that?"

"That..." Hammond trailed off, unsure of how to break the news to her when she already looked so terrified. He knew how resilient and strong Amhuinn could be, and for her to now look so scared, Hammond could break Dougal MacCallan's neck for causing such fear to appear in her eyes. "That was a missive from the MacCallan. He has declared us as enemies for kidnapping his 'son', and he has taken Adair back with him."

"Nae!" Amhuinn immediately cried. She would've dashed down the stairs, had Hammond not caught her by her waist and hauled her against his body. His strength proved too great for Amhuinn, but she tried anyway, wriggling as much as she could. Hammond was careful to hold her tight but not hurt her in the process, and only gentled his grip when she finally settled down, with wracking sobs that only caused more cracks for his own heart.

Pulling her close, he nestled her against his chest, making soothing noises as he stroked her head. "Nae fash, lassie. I promise ye, I will return yer son ter ye, I promise."

"Hammond?"

He had never been happier to hear the voice of his younger sister, and looked up to Gillian's questioning look. Motioning for his sister to come over, Hammond explained the whole situation to her in hushed tones, and then gentle disengaged the weak hold of Amhuinn, handing the elder female to the wise but young MacKenzie. "Make sure she stays safe. Could ye and Evie stay with her fer now?" Gillian nodded, and began to lead Amhuinn away. Hammond wanted nothing more then to go with her, be the one to hold her and comfort her, but he knew he could do better then that.