Prologue

DUSK'S P.O.V.

Dusk sat alone in a cave, waiting. She turned around suddenly, "Bolt. You finally came." She hissed. A large Skywing stepped into the cave. It was a muscular orange male. When he stepped into the firelight, Dusk could see all his scars from battle running ruggedly along his face and wings. "Yes, I came, and I have an offer for you." "Well, spit it out!" Dusk yelled harshly. "Two Sandwing brothers, Tumbleweed and Needle. Bring back proof, and i'll pay you." Bolt said wickedly. Dusk grinned, "I'm already gone." and with that, she left.

~TIME SKIP~

Dusk was in Queen Thorn's Stronghold. There were so many Sandwings guarding the place, it was almost impossible to sneak in. Yes, she could have camouflaged her scales, but she always loved a challenge. She looked at the claw-drawn picture of Tumbleweed, and then looked at Needle's picture. "Ugh, Bolt barely gave me any information on them!" She quietly hissed. She looked at the little information Bolt had written down. "Tumbleweed: Good fighter, once fought in The War of The Sandwing Succession. Now is a prison guard." She frowned, slightly, then kept reading, "Appearances: Long scar on face, and is more of a yellowish gold color. Tail barb was cut off for displeasing Burn." 'Well I guess I am headed to the dungeons first, unless Needle is closer. ' She thought, then looked at the information on Needle. "Needle: Not good at fighting. Was a cook during The War of The SandWing Succession, still is a cook and woks in the royal kitchens," She continued to read aloud, "Appearances:  A tall, skinny, light tanish colored male. Has undragon-like yellow eyes, and has only one wing for unknown reasons." Dusk looked up. She had made her decision, and turned around, heading for the kitchens.

It took over ten minutes just to sneak into the kitchens, so Dusk was getting pretty agitated. She looked around, trying to find Needle, which was pretty hard because she was hidden in a small crevice in the wall. She looked around, and, deciding the coast was clear, slithered out of her hiding place. She crept over to a door she had just noticed, and looked inside. She saw a large, but skinny, male Sandwing cooking a lizard on some sort of medal rod. Dusk looked closer at the Sandwing's features, and she realized he only had one wing. She had found Needle.

Dusk quietly opened the door and slithered in. Needle's back was facing toward her, so she silently inched closer, taking a small, silver dagger out of her neck pouch. When Dusk was three feet behind him, she lunged forward, secured the tail, and clamped his mouth shut. "This is for you dad!" She yelled, then she slit his throat.Dusk let his body fall gently to the ground, then she walked over to his tail and cut the barb off. She put it in her pouch, and looked at her blood-stained dagger. She smiled wickedly, and left the room.  

~TIME SKIP~

Dusk was now in the dungeon, searching for Tumbleweed. She had passed by several prisoners, most of them were Nightwings. She went up to one, a female, and spoke quietly, "Have you seen this Sandwing?" Dusk held up a picture of Tumbleweed, and the Nightwing looked at it. She continued to study the picture until she saw the tail had no barb, and she nodded and pointed to a iron muzzle that was clamping her mouth closed. Dusk looked at her, then rolled her eyes. "Hold still." She quietly hissed, and grabbed the muzzle. She opened her mouth and spit a small amount of venom on the lock, and the muzzle came off. "Thank you so much 'mam!" The Nightwing whispered, and gave her a huge smile. "Where did you see this guard last?" Dusk asked, ignoring what the Nightwing had just said. "Is that Tumbleweed?" She asked Dusk. "Yes, it is Tumbleweed, um......... 'mam." Dusk stuttered. "The name is Fortuneteller, and Tumbleweed guards Lifetaker over there." Fortuneteller gestured to a chained up, male Nightwing. A large Sandwing was guarding him, and the Sandwing had no tail barb, Dusk guessed that he was Tumbleweed. "Thanks Fortuneteller, I owe you one." Dusk smiled, then turned around and started to walk away. "WAIT!" Fortuneteller whispered, loudly, then spoke again, "Can you get these clamps off my wings please?" Dusk gave her an internal eye roll, and melted the clamps off Fortuneteller's wings. Fortuneteller gave her a small smile, then Dusk walked away.  

As Dusk neared Tumbleweed, she walked slower and quieter. She pressed herself up against the wall when Tumbleweed looked her way, and she was almost seen. 'Remember your training,' She thought to herself, 'Be silent, always be patient no matter what, and most importantly, never be seen or reveal your hiding place under any circumstances.' She crept up to Tumbleweed, and she positioned herself so she was behind him. She got so close to him, that if she were to take another step, she would end up stepping on his barb-less tail. She smiled to herself, then she lunged, going for the snout first. She grabbed his snout, and clamped it shut. She looked him in the eye, then she smiled. She smiled a wickedly evil smile, then she slit his throat with her bare claws.

Dusk watched as Tumbleweed's body fell to the ground, then she went up to his foot and cut a claw off. She put the claw in her pouch, in with the barb from Needle. Dusk looked at the prisoner Tumbleweed had been guarding. If Fortuneteller was correct, this was Lifetaker, and he would probably tell the other Sandwing guards that she had been there, so she went up to him and looked him in the eye. "If I find out you told someone I was here, I will come back and kill you slowly and painfully." She growled to Lifetaker, and he quivered in fear. He met her eyes then nodded, showing he understood, and with that Dusk left as silently as she had come.

~TIME SKIP~

Dusk could see Bolt, he was waiting for her on the entrance of her hideout. Dusk flashed a solid white color on her scales, only so Bolt could see her, because it was nighttime and Bolt was half blind. He looked up and spotted her. He watched her change her scales to her greenish black color, and he got up and walked into the cave. Dusk landed two minutes later on the ledge that led inside the cave. She saw Bolt, he was facing her with a small smile on his face. "You finished the job?" He growled, not showing any surprise that she had completed the mission early. "Yes and I brought the proof," She said, and showed him the claw and barb. Bolt studied the claw and barb closely, then he walked to the back of the cave on the opposite side of the fire. Dusk watched as he came back, carrying a small sack of gold. "Give me them, and I'll give you the gold," He growled, then gestured to the claw and barb. "Fine." She snarled, "But first, give me the gold." Bolt looked at her with a frown, then, he threw her the gold. Dusk grabbed the bag, then she looked at him, smiling. "Nice doing business with you. Now leave!" She threatened, narrowing her eyes. "WHAT??!! YOU LIED TO ME!" Bolt shrieked, then he lunged for her throat. Dusk sidestepped at the last second, and he fell into the fire. Bolt let out a long, painful shriek, and he scrambled out of the fire. Dusk threw a dagger at his heart, and he was dead in seconds. She smiled, then she left.