MUSICAL #11: THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

Start bij het begin

"Shut up."

"No, but really. Smiles suit you."

Allison rolls her eyes. "Cheesy..."

"What can I say," he winks at her. "Guess I'm just that kind of guy."

Allison looks at him for a moment, before bursting into laughter. "Oh God..." she manages. "You're ridiculous."

She finds herself unable to stop laughing, and soon enough she can hear the lower register of Toby's own laugh joining in with hers. When they've finally sobered enough that only a few stray chuckles are escaping from their mouths, Toby is beaming at her so widely the corners of his lips almost stretch from ear to ear.

"Oh God, what now," Allison sighs, but she's still got a small smile playing on her lips, so the effect is kind of the opposite of what she wanted to get across.

"That's the first time I've heard you laugh," Toby observes.

"Oh, come on, that is so not the first time you've heard me laugh."

"No, but like, properly," he says. "Like, your belly laugh."

"Yeah, okay," Allison rolls her eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes!" he nudges her shoulder with his. "I'm serious!"

"Whatever."

"Honestly! Your belly laugh is nice, by the way. Just saying."

"Thanks, Toby," Allison replies in a dry tone of voice. "So is yours." She frowns after a few seconds when she realises that despite seeing him smile almost every minute of the day, that's the first time she's heard Toby laugh too.

"Thanks, Allison!" he chirps.

"You're an idiot."

"At least I actually smile."

"Shut up."

"...and then he vanishes and only his mask is left behind and it's sad and stuff. I don't know."

"Sounds fascinating," Lydia comments, not looking up from her book. "I'm glad you enjoyed it so much."

"I didn't," Allison replies grimly.

"I was being sarcastic."

"Whatever."

"Well, anyway," Lydia says, removing her eyes from the book and fixing them on Allison, "your summary is pretty accurate, for the most part –"

"Wait," Allison interrupts slowly, holding up a hand. "You've seen The Phantom of the Opera?"

"Yeah," Lydia shrugs. "My parents took me to see it for my twelfth birthday."

Allison arches an eyebrow. "Out of all the things they could've taken you to see, they chose Phantom?"

"Whatever, we all know my parents don't exactly have their priorities straight," Lydia rolls her eyes. "They'll do anything for their little angel, except ask her what she actually wants to do. Anyway."

"No, but seriously, how did you even survive?"

"I don't know, I thought it was okay," Lydia says lightly. "A little heavy in some places, but overall, pretty entertaining."

"Oh, yeah, just some places," Allison snorts. "Even Toby didn't like it. Well. Didn't like it that much."

"And by that I'm guessing you mean for once he wasn't squealing at every single scene," Lydia questions with a smile that looks almost fond.