Look Before You Leap

Author's Note: I've been relatively fluffy with this piece, but I looooooove angst. So, I had to give you a bit before we get back to the fluff.

Summary: Something's up. Isak can feel it, even though Even denies it. Whatever it is, it can't be good because Even is keeping secrets. Again.

Onsdag 11.46

Isak, Jonas, Mahdi, and Magnus are sitting in the cantina.

MAGNUS: [shoving a piece of bread in his mouth] I'm just saying, if we all stay in Oslo for uni, we could get a flat together.

MAHDI: Bro, I don't know if I could live with you 24/7. No offense.

MAGNUS: Total offense! What do you mean? I'm the easiest person to live with, ask my mom.

JONAS: Your mom complains about the state of your room, like, all the fucking time Magnus.

MAGNUS: How would you know?

MAHDI: Because you're always telling us what a shit stain it is, and how your mom is always on your case about it.

JONAS: You'd be just the type of roommate to never do the dishes.

MAGNUS: [shaking his head] Lies.

MAHDI: Or clean the bathroom.

MAGNUS: [looks between the two of them, incredulous] Is this really what you think of me? [turns to Isak, who has been quiet.] Isak? Do you agree with these losers?

Isak doesn't respond. He's engrossed with the cheese toastie on his plate and is picking off the bits of cardamom seed.

MAGNUS: [nudges Isak's shoulder] Earth to Isak.

ISAK: [startles] Huh?

Jonas and Mahdi stop whatever they're doing and look at him.

MAGNUS: You alright, man?

ISAK: [straightening, wiping his hands on his jeans] Uh, yeah. Yeah. Why? What's up?

JONAS: You zoning out or something?

ISAK: My, uh, I'm just busy. With schoolwork, it's like it never stops.

Jonas and Mahdi exchange a look.

MAGNUS: Is something up with Even?

ISAK: [his voice cracking as he raises it] No! Geez, no. Why do you guys always think something's up with Even?

MAHDI: We don't.

JONAS: But something usually is.

ISAK: [swinging his gaze back to Jonas] The fuck is that supposed to mean?

JONAS: [sighs and sets his bottle of soda on the table] It means that there's always something going on with Even.

ISAK: [opens his mouth, closes it] It's not like that.

MAGNUS: That's not fair, Jonas.

JONAS: What isn't fair? Look, I know he's got...a lot going on, or whatever, but it doesn't excuse the fact that he strung Isak on for, like, months. He had a fucking girlfriend, and he was...whatevering with him.

ISAK: [without heat] Jonas, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

MAHDI: He's not wrong, though. What is it this time?

MAGNUS: Don't say it's nothing, Isak. We all know you pretty well. We can tell when something's not right. So, spill.

ISAK: [sighs] It's...I don't know. He's been...shady this week.