Redemption...and the day I met Kyle Caine

My life has gotten better since Jonathan left it. I concentrated on my work more and grew emotionally and physically stronger. As I was taking another lunch break, Horatio came and sat next to me. "Hey H! What's up?" I said. "Hey Caroline. How are you?" Horatio replied. I told him I was great and better than ever and that I'm working harder. "That's great," he said, smiling, "Listen, I have good news. My son, Kyle, is home from Iraq. He's in the military. I see that you are the same age as he is." I laughed and said, "And?" "I was wondering if you would like to meet him sometime." Horatio suggested. "Of course! I'd be happy to meet a fresh face." I replied, both of us laughing. Then, he gave me Kyle's number and I entered it in my phone. Then, we both got back to work.

As the medical examiner and I were performing an autopsy on another case, I heard a knock on the window. I turned and found Horatio and Kyle standing outside of the room. I told the medical examiner that I would be right back. After I threw my disposable gloves and apron away and washed my hands, I stepped outside of the room to meet them. I greeted them and Kyle and I introduced each other. "I heard that you're in the military, Kyle. How long have you been in?" I asked. I looked at Kyle in wonder, he was two inches taller than me...I'm 5'4 and he is 5'6....he had a grey shirt with the US Army logo on the right side, camo pants, and combat boots. I looked at his face and hair....blue eyes, cropped cut blonde hair, his facial features looked so much like his dad's. We both giggled, he knew I was looking at him. Then he answered, "Three years." "Interesting." I replied. The medical examiner called me back in. I told Kyle I would call him later, said "See you later!" to him and Horatio, and went to finish the autopsy. As soon as my shift was over, I signed out and headed back to my apartment.