Tribute To A Friend

A week later, I was back in the Department working on more cases. I knew Sarah's funeral was the next day. I prayed silent prayers of strength. I interrogated more people and worked in the field more. As I was working on another case, I got a call from an unknown number and I answered it:

C: Hello?

Person: Hi....Caroline?

C: Yes?

Person: My name is Jonathan Jones. I live in the apartment close to you. I'm sorry to call you at work.

C: It's ok. Nice to finally meet you, Jonathan. What can I do you for?

J: I was wondering whenever you're free, we could go out?

C: I'll have to check my schedule. But, sure. Yes, I will

J: Awesome! I suppose I will talk to you later.

C: Sure thing. Bye!

J: Bye, beautiful.

*hangs up*

I blushed as I entered his name into my phone and got back to work.

The next day, I got ready for the funeral. Horatio would drive me there and back. A few minutes later, we arrived at the church where the funeral is. After several speaking, singing, and crying, it was time for me to give the eulogy. I took a deep breath and began to read. I looked at Horatio as a point of focus. I glanced at Sarah's casket and took another deep breath before continuing then ending with a thank you. Then, I sat back down next to Horatio. I grabbed a couple of Kleenexs from my purse and began crying..quietly. Horatio put his arms around my shoulders and I cried into his shoulder. An hour later, we were at the cemetery where Sarah was buried. Horatio and I stayed at her gravesite for a while when everyone left. I looked towards the sky and said, "Sarah, I promise that I'll never forget you. Father God, take care of her." As Horatio and I walked back to the car, I told him that though I'll miss her, I'll rejoice in the life she had. He told me, "That's what we all should do when we lose a loved one or a close friend." I nodded. He drove me back to my apartment and we said good night.