21. Soulless Eyes

Start from the beginning

Newt steps back until he reaches one of the ivy infested walls of the Maze. As he slowly begins to slide downs its surface, Lori walks over and sits down in front of him.
'I- I don't even know. I was chasing you, and I thought I would stop at the doors. But I didn't. Obviously. I don't know, I just couldn't stop myself from running in after you' he shrugs, as if it's no big deal.

+ + + + +

Newt lays strapped to the Med-Jack table, Griever poison running through his veins.

"Good? What are you talking about?"
Lori doesn't hear his answer, so she moves closer to him, leaning over, her ear next to his mouth so she can hear him this time. Her throat tightens. Please don't let it be WICKED he is talking about.

'Newt?' she begins, 'Newt, what is good?'

He sighs as he answers once more, 'You're safe. That's good.'

+ + + + +

Lori jogs up to a tree and hides behind it, so that she can see Clara and the other person, but they can't see her. I was right about the girl being there. The strangest part though, is that she's sitting with Newt.

Why?

'No, I'm sorry. I don't remember any of that.'

'Are you sure?'

Newt chuckles, 'I think I'd bloody well let you know if I remembered any of that.'

She knits her eyebrows together, cocking her head to the side. 'Maybe I can help you remember.'

He just laughs at this, 'And how are you going to-'

But he doesn't get a chance to finish. He can't speak.

Lori feels a tear roll down her cheek when she sees why.

She's kissing him.

+ + + + +

'Great. We're all bloody inspired,' Newt replies. Now it's Newt's turn. He turns to the crowd, and speaks.

'You all know the plan. After two years of being treated like mice, tonight we're making a stand. Tonight we're taking the fight back to the Creators, no matter what we have to go through to get there. Tonight the Grievers better be scared.'

The whole crowd erupted into cheers, all seconding Newt's motion. They are like the electricity running along a live wire, sparking up an intense courage within them all. The battle cries sound out across every person standing among them, all finally ready to escape this test.

Newt thrusts his spear into the air, shouting towards the sky, 'Hear that Creators? We're coming!'

Newt turns on his heel and runs into the Maze. It's weird how you can't notice his limp when he runs, but Lori guesses he's full of adrenaline or something like that.

Everyone filters into the corridors of the Maze.

Finally, they are going to be free.

+ + + + +

"I'm sorry, for everything" he shouts over the noise, talking very fast. "I'm sorry for Clara, I'm sorry for letting you walk away, and most of all, I'm sorry that I lied to you; When I said nothing was everlasting that first time in the Maze, I was wrong" He stops for a moment, his eyes focusing on hers.

"Lori, you and me, what we have; What I bloody feel for you; I can promise you, that's everlasting" Newt holds onto her hands, desperately trying not to lose his grip on her.

Lori want to reply the same, but all eligible responses get caught in her throat, when she sees the shadow of a Griever's appendage begin to creep up behind Newt.