twenty one → 12/18

Start from the beginning

"Do you have an extra towel I can borrow?" He asks abashedly, only his head poking through the open doorway. Makoto nods - he doesn't trust his voice at a time like this - and scurries off into the hall, glancing left and right furtively to check for possible family members. When the coast is clear, he grabs a fluffy towel from the linen closet and returns to his bedroom, where Haruka waits for him.

Entering the bathroom, Makoto hands Haruka the towel and takes in his appearance when the door opens a bit more; Haruka's hair is in a similar messy state and he has matching bruised marks on the side of his neck. What's also strange is he seems completely content with the temperature, alongside an underlying lack of humility, standing fully naked in front of Makoto and looking unfazed.

Makoto doesn't know if he can bear to look Haruka in the eye as he watches him curiously, but at the same time, it takes every ounce of willpower he has not to look down.

"You know, if you're going to stare like that, you might as well join me," Haruka suggests, his expression blank but a teasing tone apparent in his voice, laced between his words like a tantalizing poison.

Makoto immediately snaps out of his reverie and blushes, shaking his head. "I'm sorry!" He stutters out an apology. "I didn't mean to stare."

Suddenly, Haruka's hand lashes out and he slams the bathroom door loudly, leaving the two alone in the cramped ensuite.

"Makoto," His tone is completely different now. It's back to what Makoto's used to, but it doesn't make him feel any better. He's angry now, unwilling to compromise. Moving closer, he automatically sends Makoto back a step. Makoto's exposed back shivers when he hits the cool wood of the door, notices the cool bathroom tiles in the middle of December under his bare feet... and yet, all he can feel is incinerating heat.

"You don't remember anything from last night, do you?" Haruka demands.

"I- I-" Makoto tries to think up of an excuse on a whim, but Haruka doesn't buy it for a second. He's seen through his lies since day one, how would today be any different? His eyes screw shut as he tries to think of something, anything from last night to help him remember. He gets small snippets of blurred-out memories: the pounding of loud music in his head, the chill from being outside. When he gets the courage to open his eyes again, he see's Haruka's unwavering gaze, and he shakes his head. "I'm sorry."

Haruka blinks but doesn't move, staring up at Makoto. The bathroom fills with steam from the shower, fogs up the mirror, and clouds the space between them, making it increasingly difficult to breathe properly. Something in Haruka's presence changes and his arm moves closer. Expecting a punch to the face, Makoto cringes away, shrinking further down and trembling with hesitant anticipation at his touch.

However, as Haruka's fingers brush along his unshaven jawline and rest on his cheek, Makoto realizes what he's about to do is the exact opposite of a punch, but it still twists his stomach in knots.

A sweltering, indescribable heat burns in Makoto's stomach as Haruka presses his lips delicately to Makoto's, closing the space between them. It takes Makoto completely off guard, but his eyes flutter shut anyway.

Haruka kisses Makoto like he mapping out the edges of his lips, drawing it as if it were something he is sketching in that old leather sketchbook of his. Makoto's hands shake by his sides, feeling his heart constrict against his ribcage and threaten to burst.

What are you doing? His subconscious reminds him, but he chooses to ignore it.

Their lips part together and Makoto feels like all the oxygen has decided to leave his brain. Running on adrenaline, his hands finally move and wrap around Haruka, his fingers sliding on the skin of his back and tracing constellations wherever they touch.