Chapter 12 - Innocence

Quick A/N:
Early update because I'm feeling especially motivated right now. :3

Adrien was floating on air as he walked home. She had been the one to kiss him first, how about that? What shocked him even more was that she meant to kiss him the night of coming home from Alya and Nino's wedding.

He couldn't be happier at that moment. The emptiness in his pent house didn't bother him when he got home. He was in to much of a good mood. They weren't even dating and yet... she kissed him.
Plagg flew out and rolled his eyes.
"Kid, shes got more balls that you do. Seriously..." he groaned, pulling out the box of Camembert that Adrien had tried to hide. But Plagg sniffed it out.
Adrien pursed his lips. "Shut it..." he crossed his arms and sat down on the white sectional couch in the living room.

"I've got my work cut out for me..." Adrien muttered.
"What do you mean by that?" Plagg asked, flying over with his Camembert box.
"I don't want to just remain friends with her. Not after what happened these past few days. I've just now realized how special she is to me, Plagg. I want to protect her." He looked over at his kwami with an expression of affection.
"I want to be able to call her something other than my friend." He said in a whisper.

Plagg, munching on the strong-smelling cheese shrugged. "Good luck with that, kid." He said with his mouth full. Adrien rolled his eyes and opened the note section in his phone, his thumbs clicking away at the keys.

~

Marinette explained the morning's events with Tikki, who was ecstatic. "Marinette!!! Thats so exciting!" She squealed, possibly happier than Marinette herself was, if that was possible. Before Marinette could even respond to Tikki's excitement, her phone dinged. She strained her neck to look over at it.
"Adrien texted me?" She asked, outstretching her arm to grab the smartphone. She opened up the chat.
"So you did try to kiss me~ clumsy, clumsy 😉" the message read. Marinette rolled her eyes.
"Don't get to excited kitty." She sent back.
"Why wouldn't I get excited, my lady? Now I know such a beautiful woman like you turns out to... like me~?"

Marinette's cheeks flushed pink. She sent back "we'll see." And then turned her phone off, setting it beside her.

~

Marinette sat down in front of the television with her plate of pasta she had made for herself, topped with Parmesan cheese and steamed broccoli. She turned on the flatscreen and flipped to the news. The same anchor, Nadja Chamack reporting. She covered the recent spike in akuma activity again, and then moved on about the girl who was the victim, Olivia. Marinette turned the volume up.

"Olivia Maples was brought to a local police station by Paris' saviour, Ladybug Wednesday afternoon. Upon further investigation, police have confirmed the murder of Maples' younger sister, 6 year old Sage Maples and have placed 45 year old Donovan Maples and 44 year old Cora Rochester under arrest for second degree murder, adolescent abuse and several accounts of rape..." Marinette tuned Nadja's voice out. She finally understood Olivia's situation and reason to be taken victim of akumatization.

Marinette's heart stopped as she saw a photo of Olivia talking with investigators pop up on the screen. She immediately turned the tv off, setting her half-eaten plate of pasta on the coffee table.

Her phone notification alert snapped her out of her thoughts. It was Adrien again.
"Hey, meet me tomorrow @ the park tomorrow? Noon sound good?"
"Yea, I'll c u then 😊" she sent back.
"Can't wait. 🙂" His message made Marinette smile despite her tears.

Despite the excitement and eagerness of knowing that she'd see him again, the news of the girl she saved devastated her. Though she decided not to think about.

~

The next day Adrien was up early and getting ready for what he was about to do that afternoon. He was at the park 30 minutes early and jumped up when he saw Marinette arrive.
"You look lovely as always, my lady." He smiled. She was wearing a pink knit sweater, cut hanging off one shoulder so the strap of her bra and tank top showed. In addition she wore ripped blue skinny jeans, tan sandles and two braids starting from just above her ears to the back of her head were pinned together by a pink bow.
"Thanks, kitty." She smiled.

As for him, he wore a plain white shirt with a blue flannel and blue jeans. He gestured for her to sit down, to which they sat next together, Marinette crossing her ankles daintily.
"So... why did you invite me out here for?" She asked, looking up at him the curious eyes.

Adrien paused. He hadn't prepared for this. "W-well... I told you how I wanted to get to know you, didn't I?" He asked. Marinette blinked. "Yes, I remember that."
"Well..." he turned to face her. "Marinette... I really want to become something special to you. You're amazing and I wish I had seen that earlier. From the moment I saw you again after all these years I felt drawn to you again. So... I was wondering If you could give me chance. I want to make you happy." His cheeks flushed a light color of pink. He averted his eyes. "And I'm sorry I'm springing this on you so suddenly-" he was cut off by her hugging him. His eyes widened in shock. He hesitantly hugged her back.

"So, can I take this as a yes?" He asked a moment later once he could pull back to look at his face. Marinette smiled, and nodded. Adrien felt his spirits lift. He stood up and pulled her into a hug, to which she returned. Adrien lifted her off the ground a couple inches and spun her around a few times, earning a giggle from Marinette.

Adrien felt a teenager-like innocence blossom within him. This was his chance to fix all the years of making Marinette wait. Once Adrien set down the light bluenette he looked down at her, hands still placed gently on her hips.
"I promise to make you happy and protect you, my lady." The words finally felt right to him.
A smile spread across Marinette's lips. "Okay, kitty." She said sweetly. Adrien gently took her her hand, intertwining their fingers.

~

I APOLOGIZE THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS SO RUSHED HOLY FUDGE- please understand that I'm doing this for a reason because I have a main plot Im trying to get to and need to get little details like this out of the way!
On the other hand, I have another AU im writing that is much different than this and if Romance isn't quite your thing then I think you'll like it a lot more. Its called Double Edged Sword!
And finally, my favorite comment from the previous chapter:

You always comment on the updates and honestly they make me smile! And are one of the reasons I decided to start these

If you want to be featured/get a shoutout like this, keep commenting! It really helps me out!
Thanks for reading up till now! I have chapter 13 nearly ready to go.
🐞 out!