Let Her Go ✒ Steve

This is kinda sad? And poorly written?
Whoops?
—— ✴ ——

"Can I talk to you for a minute, Captain?" T'Challa's smooth baritone startled Steve out of his pensive mood, and he tore his gaze away from (y/n) to face the monarch.

"Of course. What's wrong?"

"Nothing to worry about, my friend. I wanted to tell you a story, one my mother told me."

"Um, OK?" Steve quirked a blond eyebrow, both curious and oddly hesitant. T'Challa looked out impassively across the thick rainforest that stretched expansively for miles as he spoke.

"Once, a man met a river sprite. She was beautiful, free, and he couldn't help but fall in love with her. He admired her, would have done anything for her. Eventually, they got married, and the river sprite left the river."

At this point, T'Challa turned to look at Steve somewhat sadly, shaking his head a little before returning his gaze to outside the thick glass panelling.

"It did not end well. As much as the river spirit loved her husband, every day away from the water made her heart ache. She began to waste away, longing to be a part of the river once again."

Steve had an awful, leaden feeling in the pit of his stomach as T'Challa continued his story, but listened on nonetheless, intrigued by what would would happen to the two lovers.

"Eventually, her husband decided that he would not let her suffer. He took her on a walk back down to her river, and then encouraged her to enter the water. She looked at him, torn; should she enter the water, she would not leave it again. Her husband smiled at her sadly, before telling her that she was free to go back to her river. He loved her enough to let go."

A silent tear tracked down Steve's face.

Part of his subconscious had known that the story was his and (y/n)'s; she had loved him enough to leave behind her family to stay by his side during the Civil War that had torn his friends apart, but each day was taking it's toll on her.

T'Challa laid a comforting hand on Steve's shoulder, and offered him a somber smile.

"My friend, if you love her, you need to let her go."

Steve nodded, shoulders shaking with poorly contained sorrow as he moved towards the lift. Once the doors had shut, he allowed himself a moment of weakness, one solitary sob escaping him.

As the lift ascended, he collected what remained of his frazzled and torn courage, and by the time he was at (y/n)'s door, he was ready to face her.

Or so he hoped.

Upon (y/n) opening the door, however, his resolve all but crumbled, and he swept her to his arms. (Y/n) laughed, the sweet sound shattering the sea glass of Steve's heart even further.

"You know I love you, right, (y/n)? I love you note than I've loved anyone else, and have done for a very long time."

"Steve, is everything okay?" (Y/n)'s mirth had given way to concern, and he held her closer, inhaling the smell of her perfume for what could possibly be the last time.

"You miss your family, don't you?"

A lump formed in her throat at the mention of her family, but she simply smiled sadly in response.

"A little."

"(Y/n), you need to see them again. I've seen the faraway look you get, and there are times when you cry for no good reason. I was unfair on you, and I can now see how selfish I was."

"Steve-"

"No, (y/n/n), let me finish, or I won't be able to do this." He was crying now, and unashamedly so. "I've learned that the best way I can help you is to let you go."

"I won't be able to come back, Steve."

"I know. I'd rather have had this short time with you, than an infinity with anyone else. Go, my love."

"I love you, Steve."

"And I you. T'Challa's waiting for you."

Hand in hand, and with with both your hearts breaking with each  step, you walked down to the hangar bay.

———

Hahahaha angst!

Also petition to cancel Marvel comics for making Magneto a Nazi despite the fact he's a Holocaust survivor.

Sorry for not updating but actual GCSEs are happening and I am Panicking