Chapter 46

Work, work, work, work, and more work. Their professors definitely didn't show any mercy. Wally was swamped with mathematics and physics work. At this point he would be fine with dropping dead. It was dark as he sat at the table. All of his books and papers spread out around him. It was dark outside, the lights from the city making their living room twinkle. A yawn escaped his lips. He ran a hand through his hair as he stared down at his work.

Light footsteps trailed down the hallway and into the kitchen. She raised an eyebrow seeing that he was still awake. It was late, he should've been in bed already. "Hey Baywatch" she said breaking the silence. He looked back at her. Blonde hair trailing down her back, her back facing him. "Yeah beautiful?" he asked before yawning yet again. Turning around she leaned back against the counter. "Want some hot chocolate?" she asked, the light shining against her grey eye's.

Those eyes, he could stare into them all day. He hummed in response as she rolled her eyes. She could tell just how tired he was. With everything that's been happening sleep was the last thing on their mind's. Before they left Dick's house earlier they all spoke about what's been happening and how they feel. "The funeral is on Wednesday" she said putting the kettle on to heat up some water.

Yet again he hummed in response. Lazily scribbling answers down onto the sheets of paper spread across the table. She pulled a chair out and took a seat. "I'm still trying to take it in, to just know that she's gone" she said, voice cracking in the middle of her sentence. To hear her so distressed, it broke his heart. Artemis was his number one priority. She was always going to be his first priority. He reached over, hand resting on hers as his thumb ran across her skin comfortingly. That's when the kettle began to howl and hiss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was dark by now. The air colder than ever. His phone buzzed as he unlocked it. The glow of the screen illuminating his face as he stared down at it. A small smile playing against his lips. He was to see Wendy soon. The two of them were going skating. His heart skipped a beat when he showed up in front of her apartment building.

She was staying in an apartment with a couple other friends. When she walked outside his eyes went wide. She looked so, so pretty. "Hey Conner, ready to go?" she asked with a smile. She could see the light shade of red tinting his cheeks. It was quite cute. In the winter Gotham put up a skating rink in front of city hall. There were dozens of people already there when they arrived.

They got the skates and sat on a nearby bench to put them on. It was easy for Conner but she found herself staring at the laces in confusion. "Need help?" he asked with a smirk as she crossed her arms.

"No" she said as he rolled his eyes.

It was silent.

"Okay maybe I do need help" she said as he let out a light laugh.

Holding her foot out he kneeled down and began to tie the laces. She didn't know how he did it. In truth Wendy has only been skating once when she was ten. That was a long time ago compared to now. Shakily she stood up before quickly grabbing onto him. "This is bad" she said as a light laugh escaped his lips. Slowly he guided her towards the ice. She nearly fell as soon as she stepped on.

Conner was like a pro. She stayed near the wall where she could hold onto it in case she were to fall. Which almost happened a couple times. He skated over and stopped in front of her. Now skating backwards he gave her a smirk. "I thought Wendy Harris wasn't afraid of anything" he taunted.

"Oh ha ha" she said sarcastically.

"Here take my hands and I'll help you" he said holding his hands out to her.

"I think I like the wall better" she said with a cheeky smile.

"If you come with me I'll buy dinner after?" he said as she immediately nodded.