Chapter 9

They sat on the couch watching the child sit on the floor and stare back at them. "What are we supposed to do with it?" Wally asked as Dick gave him a mortified look. "First of all her name is Mar'i and not 'it'. Second, I have no clue" he said scratching the back of his head. "Then how did Zee know how to take care of children?" Wally asked as Mar'i stood up and waddled over placing her hands on Dick's knee's. "Da Da?" She asked with her head tilted to the side. His eyes were wide for a moment before picking her up.

Wally raised an eyebrow watching his best friend grin like an idiot. "She called me Da Da" he said excitedly as the red head rolled his emerald eyes. Something he didn't notice before was the silver locket around her neck. Popping it open there was a picture of Kori smiling. "Okay pumpkin let's get you some food" he said standing up and carrying her to the kitchen. "How do you know how to even hold a child?" Wally asked as Dick raised an eyebrow. "Dude its not rocket science"

"Rocket science would be easier than this!" Wally exclaimed.

Dick rolled his eyes and began looking through the cupboard before sighing. Dialing Artemis's number he leaned against the counter watching Wally awkwardly hold the kid. "Hey Artemis can you give the phone to Zee?" He asked as the blonde scoffed and handed it over. "Yes Dick? Is Mar'i okay?" She immediately asked as he ran a hand through his hair. "Hey can she eat solid food?" He asked as he heard her begin to chuckle. "She's going on three soon Dick of course she can eat solid food. Is that all you needed?" She asked as he glanced over at Wally.

The red head really didn't know what he was doing. "Yep see you later" he said before hanging up the phone. "I have decided that I'm not taking any chances while Zee is not here so she will drink tomato soup" he announced as Wally shrugged. Mar'i was playing with Wally's face the whole time until the soup was ready. "How does Zatanna usually feed her?" Wally asked as Dick shrugged in response. "I don't know I'm at the Police Academy half the time she just does" he said as Wally groaned.

Finally they had decided to sit her on the counter as Dick gave her small spoonfuls of the now warm soup. "You can wipe her face" he said handing Wally a cloth. Every time some soup was about to stain her clothes or fall on the counter he caught it with the cloth. "Hey I don't just run fast" Wally countered as Dick gave him a weird look. So far they managed to not kill or make Mar'i unhappy in any way. "Where does she sleep?" Wally asked as Dick rubbed his temples out of annoyance.

For the past two hours Wally had been asking question after question. "We haven't exactly gone shopping yet so she sleep's in Zee's bed. The only reason she has that dress was because I went to a kid store on the way home and bought seven different coloured dresses so Zee would stop ripping my shirts" he said as Wally chuckled, he noticed that it wasn't at him though. Mar'i was sitting on the floor staring up at the television with lidded eyes. Body swaying until she finally fell over sideways fast asleep.

Wally yawned himself and looked out the window to view the dark City. "I should be tending to Brucely I'll call you later" Wally said before getting up and leaving. After hearing the door close he stood up and turned the television off. Room engulfed in a new silence he walked over and picked Mar'i up. He didn't want to invade Zee's privacy because this was her room but Mar'i clothes were in there. Turning the light on he walked over and placed the sleeping child on the neatly made bed.

There was a little box next to the bedside table that was labeled 'Mar'i Stuff' probably for him to read. Opening it he took out one of his ripped T-shirts and walked back over sitting on the edge of the bed. It was easier to undress Mar'i and put her in the shirt than if she were awake and moving around. Folding the small purple dress he put that back in the box and picked Mar'i up. Leaving Zatanna's room he went to his and quickly changed into some track pants and a black tank top.